Dumpbox or flatbed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sodzilla, Nov 17, 2003.

1. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

Thinking of getting a bumper for my truck. I was thinking of a dumpbox but thought a flatbed with a hoist would be more versitile. I figure with a flatbed I could build different size sides for different uses. Example: 2 feet high for mulch and 6 feet or so for leaf clean up. All the dump boxes I've looked at don't have stake pockets. By the way this is going on a F350. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your info.

Brian

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Sodzilla, I use a F350 8'x12' Falt bed. I like it because you can rake or pull stuff from the sides. Yes I also use mine for leaf removal, 30hp Giant vac. The ability to fabricate different beds is nice. also from your name I assume you install Sod. falt bed is real nice for this because you can snatch pallets right off the side with bobcat with forks.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that a flatbed is the way to go. It is MUCH more universal, and lighter in weight. I built my own racks out of 2x12's and made them to look more or less like dump style, just for the style. I also have a set of split-rail racks for it, but I never use them. I have taken my sides off before to help a friend move a shed.Next set I build will be like these, but with removal side partitions.
    Oh, one thing,... if you are going to go with a flatbed, but are planning to put a hoist on at anytime, make sure you go with the 6" longsills underneath. They need to be atleast this big to accommodate a hoist.

im000564.jpg

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Another of the back.

acd32f2.jpg

5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Runner,
    are those rims or wheel covers on your truck?
    adam FGA

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Those are just the stainless inserts. I've had those on there for about 16 years, now.

7. I'm going to look at beds today. My first task is to contact my agent and find what different beds will cost me to insure. Dump trucks are the highest. My cousin has one he just lets sit cause the insurance is so high.
    You wouldn't want to build something you couldn't afford.

Dave

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Runner,

Just wanted to say your truck setup looks top notch!

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you.:)

10. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

my ins won't go for a F-super duty
    to big
    F-350 is the limit