dumped 3 customers today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 31, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

today i dumped 3 customers, and it feels GREAT! ive got more than i can handle, and im not putting up with anyones ****. 1st dumping: didnt get a call or complaint ever from these people, yesterday was the day i get paid, he grudgingly hands me the check like he didnt think i deserved to be paid, and starts pointing out that the weeds in the beds need to be removed, the debris in the street from his half dead crappy tree needs to be picked up, etc, etc, and feels this should all be included in the cutting fee. GOODBYE! dump#2: she says the grass needs to be bagged and taken away. on a $35 lawn i got 6 catchers full of grass. i told her the grass stays, or i go. GOODBYE! dump #3: "i only want the back cut every other week, and the front cut every week". ok, we tried it. shes having the whole property juiced and its up to my knees by the second week. have to go over it 3 times with doubles and it still looks like ****. told her weekly or nothing. she says she cant afford it weekly, i said well, so that im not in the same boat as you, i dont work like this GOODBYE!. do u people love dumping pita customers or what

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya, bobby.

Have a customer (woman) who lost her job last year due to her company downsizing. Can you cut every other week until I find a new job? No problem I told her. More than a year later she's still out of work and now wants it cut every 3 or 4 weeks and (you ready for this?) at the lowest possible height to boot!!!

I then thumbed back to my trailer behind my truck as she was standing by the door and said, "Yvonne, those are LAWN MOWERS back there you see, not a brush hog or a combine. I suggest you go buy some goats and some clothesline to keep em on the property. Seeeeeeeeeeeeee ya...

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Got a couple I'd like to dump but I either feel sorry for them or they are neighbors of good customers and I want to keep a good name with the neighbors

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby,

I can't believe your attitude. Client #1 - they've never complained & you dump them. You should remind them that weeding is an extra (upsell w/ mulching), and if you've already done the clean-up there should be no debris in the street. Everyone knows that for 2 weeks in the spring, maples, oaks & ashes all drop ****. Be professional & clean it up (even if you charge extra for it).
    Client #2 - 6 catchers for a $35 lawn - probably approx 10,000 sq ft. 1.5 60 gal. barrels - big deal take it w/ you!
    Client # 3 - I 'll side w/ you that no way on 2 weeks unless she'll accept clumping and so-forth in the back yard.

You sure complain a lot about your clientele. Are you wording your contracts properly and/or explaining yourself properly??

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Know just How you Feel!!!:D :D :D :D Keep up the Good Work!

7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I want to share something that I learned over 25 years ago in another business I ran. FOR EVERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER YOU LOSE SEVEN POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS.

Bottom line we all have PITA customers but we should treat them with respect when possible even when we dump them because word of mouth could hurt you.

I think your attitude hurt you this time.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

client #1: DOES WANT THE BEDS WEEDED, AND THE STREET CLEANED. WILL NOT PAY EXTRA! HE FEELS THIS IS "PART OF MY JOB". client #2: property is 6500 sq ft. grass grows at an outrageous rate of speed. no, im not taking the grass away. i run my business, my customers dont dictate how i do it. i did tell her that if she provides a receptacle, ill bag it. or, she can pay me $10 extra to take it away. she declined both. so turf, are you saying i should clean the street at customer #1, and weed the beds, for free? and you think i should bag customer #2, and take it away, for free? my contract clearly states what is included in a "lawn cut". weeding, and cleaning up are not included. either is taking grass away. i dont complain , im sharing my joy with you fine fellows. some of us bend over backwards for our customers, but most of you let the customer bend you over.....

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

ok nelbuts, what is your solution then? give the extras away, for free? haul around a truck full of grass, and have to pay $17 a yard to dump it, and do this for free? its not like i told them to go screw or anything, i did however tell them that who ever comes to my home to do work for me, gets paid. i dont tell the plumber what to do or what to charge, he tells me! i told them in a blunt way, "im no longer interested in servicing your property(of course all bills were payed in full first) . tell me now, how would you have handled all of the above customers?

10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

no bobby we treat them with respect.

A simple I am sorry but I don't think this is going to work out for either of us, so I am going to have to terminate our services. Would have gone a long way to promote your business as straight forward and sincere. Rather than the other route you took. Just something to remember next time it happens.