1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dumped a PITA customer..finally.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DennisF, Jun 3, 2004.

1. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I dumped a customer today after putting up with a lot of complaining for the last few months. I've never done it before out of respect for customers in general, but this woman pushed the wrong button today. She complained about how quickly I cut the lawn and that she should not have to pay as much if I can mow her yard as fast as I do. That hit a raw nerve with me and I told her to seek bids from other lawn care companies because I would not be back. The look on her face as I was leaving was worth the loss of a customer.
    Like I said, I've never quit on a customer before. Now after doing it for the first time I feel pretty good. Anybody else get a good feeling from giving a customer the heave ho!
  2. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

It depends on the value of each customer. In your or my case, I would have dropped her. Their's nothing you can say to convince her that your main goal is to cut more grass in a smaller amount of time. A lot of residential people think that the lawn needs to be mowed with a 21" mower @ .5 mph. They will never fully understand until they do it themselves. I would drop a PITA customer right about to if I had one.
  3. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was close to doing the same to one of my customers today. He was complaining about his yard. I probed him about what EXACTLY he didn't like. "Well, I wasn't spending enough time on it. I was in and out in 15 minutes." Basically, he is CHEAP and doesn't want to spend $40 to have his yard mowed. This is DESPITE the fact that it is a $1 Mill property. He is a CEO of a company. I told him if he had employees that could do the job in 15 minutes, but instead they spent 30 minutes on it, what would he think of them? He'd be pissed because they were spending too much time. That seemed to make sense to him, for now at least. I have that sneaky suspicion that he won't be around for long. Because next complaint from him and it is the highway for him!

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i had one guy come literally running out of his house yesterday morning and start yelling at me before i got out of the truck. he lost his cool before i had a chance to lose mine. i tried to talk with him about the problem however when a guy yells at you all you can do is just put on your peltors and walk away.
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have had people question me with regards to charges and amount of time for work performed. My reply is for the customer to look at the $30K worth of equipment, the $25K truck and my employees in unifrom. Do they really want a lowballer scrub hacking up the beautiful turf I have provided? The answer has always been no.
    When I do have a complaining customer I come out and tell them that they are complaining for no reason. This usually gets a smile out of them - then I ask what is really bothering them. It hasn't been me, but, like a bartender, I'll listen for a bit.
    What the heck, they always hire me for some other project anyways.
    However, the one thing I will not stand for, and ALL of my customers know this, is their yelling at MY employees.
    Had it happen once, corrected the customer and it got around - have a problem (or alleged) talk to ME.
  6. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to lose a good customer and always to go outta the way not to.

I love to lose a bad customer and always go outta my way to.