Dumped An Account Today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, Jun 3, 2008.

1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Finally threw in the towel on a crap account. I've been mowing it with a 21" as short as possible for the customer.

After clogging the bag 4 times on the parking strip alone, I put the mower away, went to the door and politely (but firmly) said goodbye. Told her I'd help her find a replacement... Ugh.

Less money + harder work + bagged clippings = sheisty account. Good riddance.

I'm selling my 21". No more for me. If it can't be done with a 36", then I don't want it...

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i was using a 21'' and just bought a 48'' and boy what a diffrence i dont plan on using the 21'' anytime soon again

3. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Turned down an account last night that needed a 21. No one needs accounts like that when you carry a 48 or ztr.

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I am actually going the other way, I have a belt metro 48 that sits on the trailer and I'd actually like to get some more 21 in. or 36 in. accounts. I would also use eithier mower for detail work and making smaller stripes. I just wish I could put a side access on my truck, then I'd be set.

5. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can get the high dollars for it, do it.

6. dcgreenspro

from PA

yeah, the people pay the min (35.00) and I am in and out in 15-20 minutes with the piece of s%^& 21.in that I have now.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

For me, at least, it's more than the money. It's bagging 100% of the time. It's the fact that I have to cut 20 lawns a day as a solo operator, and that's one more thing needlessly sapping my energy. It's the fact that I could cut the lawn in half the time and a quarter of the effort if I could use my T-bar. It's the fact that I have a $1,300 21" mower (that performs terribly) that only does $70 of work per week...

8. dcgreenspro

from PA

understood. Being solo as well, I see your point.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

That's a great rate. Especially since the 21" is FAR more fuel efficient. For me, I have 3 21" lawns:

#1 = $27 in 25 minutes
    #2 = $25 in 22 minutes
    #3 = $17.50 in 8 minutes (don't ask)

Not worth it. PLUS they each demand a short, short cut...

I take more grass off these than 20 of my big mower lawns...

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

One thing I've learned is I CONTROL the height of cut, not the customer. Many of these 'towners' (as I call them) want their lawn cut like their neighbors, an inch and a half tall. When I come in with a 3" cut, they probably think I don't know what I am doing, but in fact their neighbors are the clueless ones. Have to explain this to many customers. I will go to a 2 1/2 inch cut for those that want it shorter, but if they want it 'sheep sheared' I will decline the business and move on.

I can see why you got rid of the biz, bagging at a sheep-shear short cut like that....