1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

a friend of mine told me that when his salt load gets low he tilts his dump up1/3 of the way up. He made tie downs out of chains. Is doing this ok? Or will it come slidn out of the back of the truck. I told him it is a bad idea, `what do u all say?<br>Nck<br>

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Well it's ok untill ya tilt the body up so high that it bends the spinner on the v-box. Anyways my v-boxed have a bar that connects into the body where the tailgate was. Then i have chain tie downs in the front to tie the v-box in the truck. I think it's ok as long as ya don't bend the spinner or have the v-box fall out of the body.<p>Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Ok why does he have to raise the body? I need to do that at time swhen the material tunnels out. I use the HD 3&quot; ratchet tie downs, and only raise the body about 6&quot; and then drop it to shake the material loose. If that is why he does it, then I dont see a problem, just watch the spinner like Geoff mentioned.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Dino,does your spreader tunnel out a lot?Mine had the last 3 storms,I'm using the same material,and it never used to to do it.I dont have a dump body so its a pain to get out and dig through with a shovel,especially when its heaped.I keep the spreader spotless and load within hours of using it.I guess its time to buy that P/U dump setup I seen in Northern.It would be worth it for that alone.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

5. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

john- im not sure but your load mignt be getting wet. Do you cover it with a tarp?<br>Dont hold me to the wet load part(just a quess)I heard heard the p/u dump setup is great. Im think about getting one for my landscape, than i can sell my own mulch and fire wood. Hope this helps.<br>-Nick<p><p>

6. John DiMartino

Nick,I store mine inside and on a concrete pad,but When it was delivered it was moist from the water they spray on it to keep the dust down.I think it is just wet to,but it has never ever froze up.It has only happened the last 2 times-that is what gets me I used to zip through lots-now I have to bring a friend or stop every other pass to smack it down into the hopper.I'm almost out of this stuff anyway,next year I will go with real sand/salt and a straight salt pile.Hopefully magic coated,this was my first year with V-box now I know.BTW I already picked up about 10 new accounts for next year-all needing a V-box.Its time to buy another one,and maybe a (gulp) F550 (I hate that 4 letter word).But there is no one making a better truck that'll hold 4 ton.If I could buy one engine-less and swap in a 6BTA 5.9 cummins I could do it.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

7. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

John Go for the 7.3, you know you want to. Haa hee<p>The F 550 has been a great truck for us. It will be a good plow truck if you want to go that way.<p>Geoff

8. John DiMartino

I would buy a 7.3,its better than the V10 and the fuel efficiency is great.It just sounds wimpy and lacks the character of a cummins along with ithe low end torque.I believe it is a great plow truck and your use and luck with them only reinforces that.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I only have a problem with tunneling when the sand is on the truck for a long time. By that I mean during a snow storm when we only spread the hills and main drags at accounts. The vibration from driving seams to compack the sand. <br>But fortunatly the dump just loosens it up. I keep my load covered at all times when precip is falling and the stockpile is covered up.<br>John If you step up to the 650 you can get the cummins engine. It will hold more than 4 tons and with all that weight you wont need 4wd. <br>Or a top kick with a cat engine. GM and cat. Now that sounds good.<br>Dino <br><p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

10. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

I think he wants the 550 for it's turning radius and size. Thats the thing about the F 650 it's great for roads (the main reason i bought it) big lots ( only there it is only used when doing the roads around the lot, when it is snowing during the day, or two many cars to plow the whole place. This is one of those few times ya can cast snow to the side and block in the cars.), sanding. The F 550 will run circles around the 650, and you can still do residental with the F 500, don't try it with the F 650 take my word for it.<p>Also i know a guy who has the cummings in the F 650 he said it's underpowered unless you are using it to haul something light and bulky all the time. <p><br>If ya get the 650 get the cat power for it.<p>Geoff