1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dumping cheapskates from the get go...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Apr 27, 2001.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm slowly filling up my schedule with good, sound no hassle customers. (Mostly yearly clients).
    Got a call from a prospect, he wants his corner lot maintained. I got bad vibes from his message on my answering service. Called him back and he says he would like me to cut and trim his corner lot until his house sells. Instead of setting up a time for an estimate, something told me to throw a figure out at this person. I said I usually charge $25 for a stantard corner lot. He said he payed the last guy $18 and would not pay more.
    I politely told him I could not lower my price and he promptly said he would call someone else.
    I didn't need to spend the time and gas to swing by this guys house. I got to the bottom line asap because of his attitude and saved myself the trouble.
    I'm fine tuning my customer base and being more selective these days. I've been turning down prospects who are looking for lowball pricing and it feels great. I'm paying liability insurance, taxes, etc. and give reliable, top quality service. There will always be people who only want to pay the lowest possible price but I'm not going to play that game. I am trying to fine tune my customers for this coming season to give me the most profit with the least amount of hassles as possible. Anyone else feel the same?
    Best of luck to all of you.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I tell you what. It feels great to tell those time wasting price shopping customers to hit the road before they waste our time.
  3. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I hear you. It got old early this season going out against the lowballers knowing it is a waste of time and gas. This week I put my starting price on my answering machine. Now they can just hang up when they hear my price and save me the grief.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I agree! When I get a call asking for a price,the first thing I tell the caller is I don't give prices over the phone. I ask if they are planning on getting several bids. If they say yes, I tell them I won't be the low bidder so there is no point in my comming out. I get my best customers from referals from my longtime customers. They see their friends are happy with my service and fees, so they don't argue about the price I quote them.
  5. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Yes sir, agree 100% we do not quote over the phone and qualify before I go out to bid. (Sprinkler, lawn condition, schedule to be cut, feel for the customer) The time spent running around here and there will cost you money; price shoppers are going to bounce from company to company using whoever is the lowest for the season.

Let them go down the road and find someone else to grind on $18.00 he is full of it.

“ Yes sir, drain all the water out of your pool and jump right in just be careful in the deep end you might bump your head”
  6. People like this have taken too many swan dives into empty pools! So now they are 'half a bubble off plum' thinking we will suck for their ol $18.00 cut spiel. For all we know the last guy prolly charged $30.00 a cut and the prospect is lying.

Yea, these looosers are a couple sandwiches short of a picnic!

Move on brah.