Dumping Customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bohiaa, Jul 12, 2007.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Man O Man, I am really starting to dump Customers.

got rid of 4 this week.

With all the free time, I have picked up 6.

Getting rid of the slow pay's. PITA's, and hard cuts.

It sure is wonderfull to send out the letter saying this is the last time we will be servicing your lawn care needs.

2. M.C.L.C.

M.C.L.C. LawnSite Member

I love it!!! We are not a HUGE company compared to a few others here in town, but we have reached the point this year that i can do the same with our P.I.T.A. customers.....with the biggest smile on my face. I personally however enjoy telling them this while on the phone. :laugh: They usually call to tell me about the one blade of grass that was missed by a crew, or a sqft of DIRT didn't get any fertilizer, and i have the joy of simply telling them to find someone else to do it then!!!!!! Cuz we are moving on :walking:

Love it!!!!!!!

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You must have plenty of money, to dump customers in July:hammerhead:

4. tomgolfs44

tomgolfs44 LawnSite Member

Dumping clients in July is not always a bad thing.....Last year was my first year full time with no corporate paycheck to back me up. I had three bi-weekly clients that needed to be serviced weekly by mid-June. I called each of them mid-July basically begging to allow me to service them weekly. (explained the benefits to their turf, me, etc.) and all three said, "my grass does not need to be cut every week". One guy even went as far as to call me a liar saying that I did not double-cut his yard because his Son watched me "every-time" and said I never cut it twice. I ate it as I needed the money to feed my family and pay my bills. June '06, 45 clients.......June '07 98 WEEKLY clients.............. just sent out all three invoices thanking them for their business and wishing them luck with their new lawn service. :cool2:

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I'm loveing it too, I had this guy call once and he said there were about 5 to 10 leaves that we mised, I told him that we would get them next time.
    O NOOOO, he wouldn't have that.

he was one of the 1st ones to go. The funny thing is that they have NO ideal why were dumping them.......... DUH.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Quite the oppsite, that's why you dump.

7. M.C.L.C.

M.C.L.C. LawnSite Member

Well here lately we have had the good fortune of picking up several 10+ larger homes, nice weekly lawns thats signed up for the works...mowing, 6-step fert program, tree and shrub fert, tree and shrub spray etc etc... So with gaining those we can stand to tell the others that are pains to go mow it themselves, or go spray their own weeds. Great feeling. oh, and yeah i love hearing them ask the question " why?" i just love to give them the answer! Then i do this dance......:cool2:

8. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, its a good feeling firing a customer. I had 2 that found something to complain about everytime, didn't matter what it was. Or worse yet, add additional duties and jobs to be performed, but still expect to pay the same amount per cutting...

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I like that dance.........lol

yea starting out seems ya get all the crap jobs the other co's wont take.
    so after ya build up it's a wonderfull feeling...

Think I'll do that dance

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I hear you, anymore I do it even in slow times, with only a few exceptions it literally has to hurt worse to dump them than not to, I just got to that point myself... I know it ain't right, but what can you do, in 6 years customers have never even remotely proved that things would change consistently, once in a 100 or a 1,000 someone turns a new leaf, but that's just not worth it.

It's more than just the money, the ANGER I used to get out of this just isn't worth it for one because it's always that same old song and dance... A lot of those yards don't need cutting but 6-7 maybe 8-10 times the whole season and I waste trips driving by their house just to see it hasn't grown. Then it's a hard cut or cheap customer who slow pays too (if they ever pay), man that used to get me going. The wealthier ones can do it too, but they usually pay up in the end and are like "how much I owe" and me like "700" and they don't even flinch as they stroke out that check and "here you go sir!"

It's also one of the reasons why today I see a hard cut or a cheapo coming and I price the cut higher, helps make up for it for one, hope they call someone else for another. I mean they gang up on you, I swear they do, some say yes to whatever quote knowing already they won't pay... Once I got that call a few times in september talk about "Oh why my grass isn't growing at all anymore, we're done for the season thanks!" my perspective slowly changed, among many other things that clued me in to how it really is.

I tell you the secret to it all is save your money, that way even during hard times you got thousands in the bank... Nothing screams "see ya" louder and better than 5-10 or 20 thousand in the bank, absolutely nothing beats sitting at home watching tv instead, because once I figured it out, either way you're going broke so why bust a sweat over it? :laugh:

Peace out