1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dumping drinks in street, another big no-no.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by adam.neusbaum, Apr 19, 2013.

1. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else receive calls over employees dumping something in the street leaving a stained puddle days later? I've always been on the job with helpers to give a nah don't do that nod every so often. It's bad enough making sure all vehicles/equipment aren't leaking any fluids(even drops). Must be our ancestors mentality of throwing everything in the street for disposal.
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

What in the world are your guys drinking that leaves a stain in the street??????
  3. adam.neusbaum

That's what my customer asked. Here's a recent text response from a friend that has a mowing service: Difficult, having the same problems right now, the habit of the guys is to pee in a cup then just dump it out in road or yard, I've gotten the same call.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

You sure it wasnt spilled fuel or oil from refilling that ate into the blacktop? Sounds like someting stronger than a drink.
  5. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Peeing in a cup? Ever heard of a tree?
  6. adam.neusbaum

This is part of the problem, if you're not there you're never sure & of course he can't remember. Customer said he saw him dump something from a cup.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like its time to drop that customer. When a garbage truck or delivery truck leaves a mark in the street, does he call them? Better yet do those companies even entertain crap like that, i would say no. Some people have nothing better to do.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

oh god lets dont start another "peeing in the bushes" discussion! :laugh:
  9. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

Any dark soda will stain concrete. Common sense would tell me not to pour something out in the street. It's not hard to throw stuff in the trash, or dump it down a drain. Go ahead, drop your customers. More for me lol.
  10. adam.neusbaum

Most guys from this area were raised in these conditions so it seems to take reminding of what things are proper.
    Instead of dropping this twice-a-year aeration customer and the next and the next customer(that I worked & paid dearly to get with advertisements) I'd rather condition my helper to have some class so we don't have this again in the future. It's a slow process but it can be done. Either for it or against it, uniforms do help folks from the poverty level know how to dress a little better than they normally would.