Dumping drinks in street, another big no-no.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by adam.neusbaum, Apr 19, 2013.

1. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

But it's so much fun and today was a rainout here and I'm bored!

2. Shaving Acres

Shaving Acres LawnSite Member

A lot of guys in my area dip and spit in a cup. I am guessing that the cup gets full and they are dumping it in the street instead of a trash can or in a natural area. The tobacco stains pretty much anything it gets poured on.

3. yardguy29

yardguy29 LawnSite Member

never been a problem for me.

but as far as I'm concerned the street is off limits for clients to complain about. I do not consider the street in front of there house as part of there property for me to maintain. the gutter yes but that's where it stops.

I mostly drink water and if I need to dump it out cause it got to warm or got some debris in it it usually gets dumped out the driver side window in the street.

on the few emergency situations I've peed in a bottle I empty the bottle promptly in the street or in the grass.

4. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking the same thing. I have little tolerance for customers who complain about trivial things. If it is something we legitimately done wrong or messed up on, it will be corrected with no questions asked, but complaining about spots in the road is way overboard IMO.

They say 20% of customers cause 80% of the headaches. It seems like this is indeed true.

5. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

I could understand that way of thinking if it was something accidental, but if an employee is intentionally dumping out drinks in the street then that needs to be corrected. Some people like there neighborhood looking nice, not just there yard.

6. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I had the president of a customers Homeowners association call and complain that my truck was leaving a giant stain in front of the customers house. I walked down the street and it was in front of every house for 2 blocks. It was the trash truck. No idea why they thought it was us.

7. yardguy29

yardguy29 LawnSite Member

sorry but I could disagree more.

anything PAST the gutter is not my responsibility whatsoever and there will be no action to correct anything I do or don't do just to keep a road/street stain free. this is taking things a little too far.

I would more than likely drop that client. or explain that I'm not responsible for anything past the gutter. but I certainly would not change my habit of emptying cups or bottles in the street if I feel the need to or expect employees to not do this either.

I'm actually one of the few lco's in my neck of the woods who even takes the time to blow the debris from the gutter. most blow everything in the gutter. but that's where it's stops. I'm not gonna let clients dictate what I throw/empty into the street.

we are responsible for paying clients yards. NOT there neighborhood.

8. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

I remember thinking exactly like this, back in my late teens/early twenty's. Amazing how life's experience can alter your mind as it does which in effect changes your actions.

9. RSNovi

RSNovi LawnSite Member
    from MI

I don't like stains that are left in front of my house on the road. Yes the garbage truck has done it and other people who have parked out there leaking oil. If I saw someone being lazy and dumping stuff leaving a stain, it would be the last time they do work for me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

So you would intentionally stain the concrete in front of a clients house? How would you feel if I dump 5 gallons of black conrete stain all in the street in front of your house?

Like I said, accidents happen, and if an employee accidentally spills gas or oil, so be it. BUT, intentionally staining someone's street is just downright idiotic. It's not that hard to hold on to your cup untill you can find somewhere to dispose of it without causing damage to something.