1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dumping grass from Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffyr, Mar 25, 2001.

1. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

What are you guys dumping your grass into ? Just started using the Walker and thought that it would dump into a green barrel (60gal) but it's too low. besides the hopper is too wide and will dump all over the ground anyway.

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

they make a nice "dump bag" we use to get as many customers as possible allow a compost pile or get 2 large trash cans we can use

but we only use mulching decks now a days as no one really want to pay the added cost of bagging down here
  3. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

we dump it onto a tarp then throw it in the back of the truck.
  4. jeffyr

thats the solution I have come up with as well. I thought there might be a secret I was missing. Maybe pulling the mower up onto the trailer with the dump at the edge of the gate so a barrel will fit under ?

I've seen those-Landscapers supply has them for about $30. Seems not worth $30 though, maybe 10.

5. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

We use Walkers as well, and have found a couple of ways to dump easier. One you can install second ramp on front of your trailer and drive machine up on to trailer then up second ramp into the back of your truck and dump. Next solution would be to have a leaf sucker attached to trailer and use to suckup grass clippings, just dump next to trailer and when your done with job suck everything up.
  6. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

7. jeffyr

That thing is $2500. Are you mad or crazy ?
    just kidding. Too rich for my blood. I should ask Stone for a cheap solution. He seems to like figuring out these types of things for next to nothing. Maybe a solution could be found on "junkyard wars" landscaper series !!!

8. ShortCuts

ShortCuts LawnSite Member
    from Maine

We have found that the fastest way to get clippings into the truck (other than have a ramp from the trailer) is using landscaping barrels. Two guys with barrels can get rid of a pile of grass much faster then a truck loader. WE have found the truckloader to be a much bigger pain in the a$$ then it is worth. They are great in the fall but not for grass, especially wet and even damp grass. The loader always clogs up and dealing with the hose is a pain in the neck.

just my 2 cents
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

If you go to a lumber yard they will have tons of plastic tarps off of lifts of lumber that they will likely give away to you. They make good tarps for grass.
  10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

One of my reasons of buying a Walker was to use the sissor lift. My salesman at the time was againest the idea. I should have listened, he was right. I had it on for two weeks.On nice flat ground every thing worked great. The steeper the slop the more traction you loose because the unit ads more weight at a higher level.The unit I had would not lift up a full load of wet grass. When I called the company to return the unit I was informed that my unit had one of the small motors for the hoist.They took it back minous the cost of the parts that broke in the two week time of use. If I ever get to the point where I could dedicate one mower for flat ground I would have another.

For all you opperators that only mulch I recommend you not moving your location because there are areas in the country that its much easier to collect than try and hide the clippings.