Dumping Grass?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by HydroCutter, Jul 28, 2006.

1. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

I currently bag all my clients and leave the bags for them to take out on garbage day. I'd like to dump all clippings in my truck and empty them at end of day, but I don't have enough accounts right now to fill my truck in one day. I don't want to leave grass overnight. How do most dumps charge? If I go in w/ 1/2 of pickup truck full of clippings, will that cost less than full truck? Do they go by weight or amount? Thanks
    Dave

2. lonestaros

lonestaros LawnSite Member

Dallas charges by weight, you drive in on a scale and drive out.

3. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

the place i go to charges by the amount.

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

This probablly dont help you much, but our landfill here is FREE. You can dump basically anything there for free.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You do need to find first a landfill, then ask them if they take commercial loads or if it's the only landfill then you should be ok... Reason I say is there are some that are only residential (yes, even gov't operated ones), you might can get away with it but there's usually a huge fine if they catch you.

Now I have Zero bagging customers but I do get my dozen or so trailer loads of crap per year, I take my stuff to Shoosmith Landfill, I think it's $22 / ton but $40 minimum, so I always pay $40 /load, and I charge around $200 / load to the customer (for a full load).

6. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I have a local chick hacthery that also has about 200 head of cattle that about 20 other lcos dump their clippings at for the cows to eat. Look for something like that in your town if your near any agricultural areas.

7. MLawns

MLawns LawnSite Member

I take my clippings to the landfill....no charge.....they compost it.

8. MLawns

MLawns LawnSite Member

The landfill doesn't charge.....my charges are added into the customers price. I have a couple of commercial accounts that want the clippings removed from the site. Can't haul it away for nothing.

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

First, I wouldn't dump grass in the bed of the truck, whatever grass we do collect, it goes into large barrel garbage cans. Much easier to dispose of then trying to get grass out of the bed. And since you say you won't have enough grass to fill the bed, this tells me that using garbage cans would be the easier way to go for you.
    Secondly, if you have to pay to dump grass, is it really going to be worth it to you? Will you be charging your customers extra to haul the grass away for them while you pay the dump fee?
    I think if you are going to bag grass, you NEED to find a place that is close by where you can dump for free. That's the only way to make it worth your while imo.

10. TierOneLawnCare

TierOneLawnCare LawnSite Member

I just purchased a 6x12 open trailer, I will be towing my new Craftsman Lawn Tractor (Yes I know) 42" cut 20hp, 1 Trimmer rack with 2 spots, and a blower.....What else do I need? I was thinking a trash can (how do you tie it down?) maybe 2 5gal gas cans (again how do you tie them down?) anything else I need? I will be mowing 1 day a week......thanks for the info