Dumping on Your Land

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gene $immons, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been dumping grass and leaves on a 5 acre piece of land for around 3 years.

I am starting to run out of room.

I need a bulldozer, for real.

Anyone had a similar problem?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If at all possible, do it in cycles. In other words, always rotate to different areas, so you can keep the height down. The more you can spread it out, the faster it decomposes.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have about the same size of area and dump there also. I spread mine out within a week after it has been dumped. It's not a massive about....maybe a half of truck bed full every 3 weeks or so.

4. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

Are you allowed to burn in your area? We dump on my father-in-law's land and we burn it. He had a hige pit dug so when you burn it won't get out of control.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If You can put it in rows and mix it then sell it or give it away as mulch.
    John.
    You can pick up a loader tractor cheap.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Sorry Compost

7. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

The places that I have dumped on cant support the 1 ton. It gets stuck. I was thinking about hiring out someone with a big piece of equiptment to compact the area, and push some of the stuff around.

It really stinks, even in the winter, when it gets stirred up. A bobcat won't work I'm afraid.

Another problem is that large piles of tree and branches are mixed in with all of the clippings and leaves.

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't poop in camp,

or don't poop where you eat.

or don't poop where you live?

Something like that. Anyway, now you have pooped up your camp and it isn't very pleasant.

I have a Cat 247 Multi-terrain loader. It has rubber tracks. Its like a skidsteer but its also like a little bulldozer...it really pushes and crawls over stuff a skidsteer can't touch.

If you get a rubber track machine and a chipper, you can manage your land resource much better.

KB

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

5 acres? how high you piling the stuff? I can't imagine running out of room in 3 yrs! We just dug a 3 1/2 acre lake and spread the dirt around the hole, the area is about 5 acres and I dont think we raised the original level of the soil more than 1-2 ft. If your generating that much clippings and leaves, sell the land and just buy another 5 and start over.

10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

We have around 5 acres as well and seperate wastes to clippings, leaves and branches and trees in a seperate area and burn the branch/tree pile every month. The other pile is kept turned all the time and used for compost.