Dumping Scag, bought an Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MIDSOUTH, Jul 11, 2001.

1. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

I have a piece of junk turf tiger, I used to talk it up on here but it is really a piece of crap, Had more motor troubles that it is worth(25 kohler), several problems with the mower itself including one of those right wheel pumps. It will not even climb a hill now for some reason. It only has 400hrs on it too. I have several friends that have them and theirs are toublesome too. Bought a 27hp Kawi lazer with a 60" deck on today, will pick it up friday with the ultravac on it. I will fix and keep the junk tiger for now, but will probably sell it and then get another exmark if they prove to be the mower of choice.:blob3:

2. Wood Lawn Man

Wood Lawn Man LawnSite Member

Midsouth, with only 400 hours, your turf tiger is still under warranty right? The 25 horse kohler has definitely proved to be a troublesome engine, and that's probably what is causing your loss of power on hills now. (coils/SAM module i'm guessing) As for the right wheel motor, the average life of those is around 1000 hours, and I believe that Exmark uses the same manufacturer. I'm sure that your frustrations with your Scag are valid, but with a little dealer support and some patience, your "junk tiger" will be worth more to your crews then if you would try and sell it.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Tell the truth now.....................did the advantage deck actually cut bahai that good or did it miss some like all the other mowers on the market!

I talked to the Scag dealer the other day and asked about the wheel motors.................he said he has only replaced 3 and the fix was real simple and down time was maybe a 1/2 day. He told me that the deck was the best on the market for bahai. I've never seen one in action under real world conditions.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I tried a friends new turf tiger tonight! It had a 27hp kawasaki with a 61inch deck. I was pretty impressed by this machine. Extremly comfortable seat...... very solid..... fast acceleration and power to spare. I didnt get to cut very high grass so i cant tell how i like the quality of cut. Overal...... very nice machine in my opinion!

5. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Homer,

I don't know how the Advantage deck compares to others in bahia. Never did a side by side comparision. I do know that it is much better than the standard deck I had at first.

6. HOMER

I'm going to try doubles one more time. We've had so much rain lately that the crap is hoppin' all over the place. Tired of having to run back over it to pick up a few strays.

My 48" Scag is terrible. Have the standard deck on it and it flat won't cut it without missing 25%.

Choppers are much better but still tend to miss some of it. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I know people with Lazers and their machines miss some too so there really isn't anything else to do but hit it again............and again.:angry:

7. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Homer,

I had the same problem on my 48" Scag walkbehind. It wouldn't cut bahia for anything.

8. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

It is 11 months old. So yes it is still under warranty, but with only 400 hrs it should give not near the problems that it has. I am going to keep it istead of getting rid of it. I will use my exmark myself and the help gets to ride the scag from now own though!!
    Homer, it does cut bahia great, but it does leave a stringer or two once in a blue moon. It will still probably be the machine of choice on the bahia lots, but I am hoping the exmark will perform equally on bahia. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the exmark. I checked on the 27hp turf tiger also but with the problems I have had with the other one I would not buy another scag (right now at least). I have heard to many good things about exmark on here and from the other cutters in town, I have also been told they will cut bahia well. I demoed the ferris IS3000 and IS4000 and I will not give my opinion on them on here. except i will say I would never buy one of those machines, it also left more bahia stringers than any machine I demoed, the IS3000 had 50hrs on the demo machine and it dropped the spindle bearings on the left spindle on the third yard I was cutting, the exmark seat is smoother ride than the ferris so called suspension, and it is not supposed to scalp-HA!,and it is supposed to handle hills well, it was more prone to slide than my scag. I would have liked to try a hustler and a chopper but no one sells them around here.

9. HOMER

You answered my question.................and a few more I had!

10. good choice in mowers

and as far as the wheel motors i have more than a 1000hrs on my Lazers

I had the same exact problems with a Ransome Bobcat
    3 engines 2 pto clutches 5 wheel moters 6 pumps a couple of spindles(most my fault) and various other parts later I finaly pawned that POS on someone else

but he has no problems with it yet 460 hrs but keep hitting things and blowing out spindles

but i think the time you bought your mower Kohler had lemons coming out get with you dealer and insist on a new engine

have fun on new mower LGF