Dumptrucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Apr 4, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

How many of you use those dual wheeled dumptrucks, with a 3-5 yd. capacity? I was thinking of buying one next year, while adding a plow to it too. They are a bit more expensive than a regular truck, but I think the dump body could work wonders. Anyone have good experiences or do most stick with the traditional pickup trucks?

2. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

I have owned several dumps from l8000 ford with 3208 to an old IH gasser....I would stick to a 1 ton 4x4 with a dump body as you can plow with it and it will haul everything that the bigger ones will just more trips....( I have more time than $) Plus when you figure your repairs, Insurance,License fees etc. there is a HUGE difference I paid 700.00 per yr for my plates on the last dump and only paid 55.00 for the 1 ton....Guess it boils down to how much will you be hauling.....and how much time ya got!

Peace!

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

4. EarthTech Landscapes

EarthTech Landscapes LawnSite Member

I would suggest to go with a Ford F-550 with a diesel or Wait until Chev comes out with a version of the F-550. i sure love my new Durmax disel. With the added insurance of a larger truck plus the cost of licensing i just don't think that it is really worth it. sometimes a five yard truck is nice though.

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1974 Chevy with a 2 1/2 yard dump body and a 7.5 Western snow plow. With 18" sides, it will haul 5 yards of mulch. I have it only because I was able to buy it for next to nothing. I put a few thousand into it and it is perfect for hauling stone, dirt, mulch, leafs and tree waste. It is a real back saver. It has a brand new dump body that has a spreader gate and the cab protector that goes over the cab about two feet. All it needs is a real good paint job to match my other truck and trailer and it will look great.

I do not use it enough to get the same value out of it if I was going to buy a brand new one. I would never even consider buying a new chassis truck right now in my operations at the prices they want for one. It would all depend on how much you plan to use it.

With a plow, you really need 4 wheel drive if it would be your only plow truck. Mine works great with some weight in the back, but I would be, and am, very cautious about getting into places with too much snow or slopes.

The best thing about them is when you go to dump and all you have to is pull those two knobs!

[Edited by Skookum on 04-05-2001 at 02:09 AM]

6. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

I don't see how you can make a living in this business without at least 1 dump truck. I've got an 85 K30 6.5 diesel (new last year, unfortunately)
    4x4 with a plow, this thing will pull a school down. I also own a 97 ck2500 ext cab 8ft bed pickup w/plow.(basically my wifes truck) Also own an "89"Jeep grand Wagoneer (also wifes car)
    the things the balls in the snow and sand. My point is to offer customers from Clean-ups to Mulch to hauling grass away a 1 ton dump is the way to go. In my opinion you always need a good backup in case one craps out.

7. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I have an easy dumper insert in my Dodge 2500. With the sides on it will haul 5 yards of mulch and dump 6000 pounds. It works great and they are around 2000-2600 with cab protector. Check them out, they are like the ones that Kris had linked too......

8. brimow

brimow LawnSite Member

no doubt a one ton dump is a wise investment. Ever since I got mine , I don't know how I did anything without it. If you have the money ...I would say..yea buy new. These trucks aren't usually own by people who go back and forth to the grocery store. Or to Lowes to pick up a gallon of paint and some brushes. Not saying everyone beats there's up. These trucks are ment to work,be worked,and make money. If you go used (which I did), check the truck over REALLY good. If something is just not right or " you just have to hit it a couple of times and it'll work" forget it! I looked for a truck for 3 yrs till I found the one I wanted. I've owned it for 4 yrs and all I've done to it is brakes, tires, trailer hitch, and exhaust. other than that it's been a great truck. by the way it a 83 gmc 3500 2wd with a 8' plow, stick. happy hunting.

9. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't have one, but soon will. We had to mulch a complex the other day (30 yards) and man was the dump a help. Saved us allot of time and hassle.

I never knew a dump would be so much help but with as many mulch jobs that we have been doing I am finding it an invaluable tool we cannot do without. Especially helps with cleanups.

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out the stake body dumps...can get alot more than 2-3 yards in them and you can load your walkbehinds in the back instead of hauling a trailer. If you have a ZTR put it on the trailer and have ramps to the trailer for your walk behinds