Durability for a poorly designed college campus...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by turf4kansas, Jan 21, 2013.

1. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

No restriction requiring drip for gray water and we make sure the irrigation does not spray over the sidewalks (well best we can) When there are events on campus that will have a high amount of people at night, we shut everything down in the even area just in case.

2. mvbtoro

mvbtoro LawnSite Member

Both the Mini-8 and Super 800 (CR500 in Irritrol) were outsourced rotors purchaded from another manufactur while Toro was going through the design and implemenation of their T-rotor platform. Agreed that both Super 800 and Mini-8's had higher failure rates than accepatable from a company like Toro. The T5 (3/4" inch) and T7 rotors have proven to be a very effective answer. Higher pop-up, utilizes air-foil technology for superior perfomance(see stream staightners and honeycomb), has a five-year warranty, and come with nozzle trees that include low-angle for the shorter Mini-8 requirements. Precison Spray (past IA New Prodcut of the Year)and Precision Rotary Nozzles use less water but are more efficient. The new Precision Soil Sensor (IA's just announced 2012 New Product of the Year) is wireless and works on all controllers monitoring soil moisture. Give your local rep a call and ask him to demo some of this new technology at your place.

3. mvbtoro

mvbtoro LawnSite Member

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  4. mvbtoro

mvbtoro LawnSite Member

Both the Mini-8 and Super 800 (CR500 in Irritrol) were outsourced rotors purchaded from another manufactur while Toro was going through the design and implemenation of their T-rotor platform. Agreed that both Super 800 and Mini-8's had higher failure rates than accepatable from a company like Toro. The T5 (3/4" inch) and T7 rotors have proven to be a very effective answer. Higher pop-up, utilizes air-foil technology for superior perfomance(see stream staightners and honeycomb), has a five-year warranty, and come with nozzle trees that include low-angle for the shorter Mini-8 requirements. Precison Spray (past IA New Prodcut of the Year)and Precision Rotary Nozzles use less water but are more efficient. The new Precision Soil Sensor (IA's just announced 2012 New Product of the Year) is wireless and works on all controllers monitoring soil moisture. Give your local rep a call and ask him to demo some of this new technology at your place.

5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Cool, a Toro rep...:)

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

My Toro REP realized early on, I had no use for any of their product, except Ed Hunter's "Stream Rotor". That being said, once Toro gobbled-up Irritrol and Rain Master, I had to deal with him. :dizzy:

7. cppendergrast

cppendergrast LawnSite Member

can't take it.... Toro failure rates have cost me thousands of $. I do still use the 254. It would be a comedy to list the products that were pushed at me w/o proper testing. This was in the 80's & 90's

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The same could be said about every manufacturer. I replaced thousands of RB T-Bird heads, early editions of the ESP, current DV issues. Hunters initial entry into the spray head market had awful blow by at the wiper seal, which I had to replace many of. But in the residential market, there are many toro products that have been absolutely awful, and cause me plenty of grief.