Durable 21" Under $400

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LouisianaZJ, Apr 10, 2004.

1. LouisianaZJ

LouisianaZJ LawnSite Member

Hey, the little 21" used in small spots crapped out on me today. I't probably fixable (cracked deck where the engine mounts, bent deck), but I'll probably just get a new one.
    Preferably self propelled in the 6HP+ flavor.

2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2 21 inch Lawnboys that I paid about $400 dollars for they work out real good for us they are rear baggers.

3. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I see your looking for "durable" for under $400. I think of commercial when I hear durable. I don't believe you'll find anything commercial w/ 6 hp and self propelled. (not new anyway) This may be your opportunity to upgrade. There are lots of opinions here on different brands. Good luck.

4. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

I was looking for a good quality 21in. also and finally decided on the husqvarna 5521rs. It has a 5.5hp honda on it and seems to have plenty of power and starts on the first pull. I like the mower because of the variable speed drive unit with no gears to change, you just pull up on the lever and the farther you pull it the faster it goes. Also has one lever height adjustment and will raise to about 4 inches. Also you don't need any tools to change from bagging to mulching to discharging. I am not sure if you would consider it commercial grade but it is built very well. New it runs $399.

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Its not the engine that makes it commercial duty, as even a home owner model has the same engines as the comm. machines. Its the wheel assy, drive system, handle material, the deck materials. and the height adjuster design.If you use this mower for more than a few hours each week you will learn what doesnt hold up on them.

6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

21" lawnboy 6.5 2cyl silver series mine is going on its 3rd yr commercial service . under $400 and I will buy another when the time comes

7. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I bought two LawnBoy 10356 models last year for $288.00+ tax each. I bought them to try out really. To see how well they measured up to the Dura Force powered models. I was surpised at how well they cut. The clippings are so fine that I have not had to bag or mulch.

They are powered by a 6.5 Tecumseh engines. They have did a great job so far. Easy to handle, great cut and very light weight.

I have only used the mowers last year and so far this. So I can not comment of how durable they will be for the long haul. I do not go by hours on my non oil filtered small engines. I change the oil when I notice it starting to change colors. And I know that how well a unit is maintained has everything to do with extending the life of any machine.

I like the little mowers so well that I plan to buy two more this year.

Every one reccomends the Dura Force two stroke engined models when the name LawnBoy comes up. I have three Silver Series Pros myself that I like a lot. But since Toro bought LawnBoy and stopped production of the 2 stroke Dura Force engines. Everyone is running out to snatch up the last of the 2 stroke mowers now. Which is fine. But it may present a parts problem for awhile once all of the mowers that were sold in the short period of time start breaking down or parts wearing out at around the same time.

Since it appears that you are in need of a mower now. I would reccomend that you take a look at the 10356 LawnBoy. It falls well below your limited $400.00 range which would allow you to get back up and running. You will also recoup your investment cost in a shorter period.

8. LouisianaZJ

LouisianaZJ LawnSite Member

thank you for the suggestions
    I have a backup mower right now but it is not the best

9. PCM-LC

PCM-LC LawnSite Member

JP Lawns-If the Husky is the same as the Ariens Commercial, then I would not recommend it!! I bought one last year and have hated to use it. It is heavy and will not mow on a bank or in a ditch. I paid over $600 for it as it carried a commercial rating. I used on again this past weekend on 3 commercial accounts, it does bag well on flat ground but really sucks everwhere else.

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Under $400? Heck...my crappy 10 year old $150 MTD is still doing it's job for those small areas. I see no reason to pay $400 for a commercial push.