Durable zero-turn for acreage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 026TB4U, Jan 12, 2005.

1. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and have a question about which zero-turn to buy. I have a 20 acre property that gets mowed by a 72" finish mower (tractor). The problem is that it's not very maneuverable and I need a smaller mower for getting around and under trees as well as cutting along the fence line. I need trim on the mower to do the fence lines.

Some of the acreage is wooded so it will have sticks and some brush. This is why I'm looking into a commercial mower. It will need to be able to handle some hard use.

I have narrowed it down to Hustler and Exmark but I'm also open for other reccomendations. I'm really not sure about which models to look at. I'm thinking of going with a 42"-48" and would like to keep it under $6K although closer to $5K would be better.

So which models would you suggest? I haven't been to the dealer yet, so msrp is a difficult thing to gauge what I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The X2503 Dixie Chopper has about the most trimming abilities there is. Dixie puts a 60 inch deck on a 50 inch frame and they have an incredible trim capability.
  3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Perhaps a Scag STHM (3 wheeler) type mower would be good for your application if you have lots of trees to get under and tight trimming. You will have to purchase a used one though as they stopped making them a couple years ago, but they are tough as nails and pritty good mowers. I have one in the 72" size and use it a lot. I see them on e-bay all the time
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ferris still makes them (3 wheelers) with a 61 inch deck.
  5. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

at $5000.00 - $6000.00 dollar range I would go Scag's new Z-Cat (42" Deck) would meet your requirements

1. 5-6K
    2. 42"-48" Deck
    3. Commercial Unit

BUT for 20 Acres with lots of trees..... Scag Turf Tiger or Hustler Super Z!!!

Neither will fall in your price range, but you get an awesome unit, with speed and durability.
  6. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

unless you love to sit on your mower and fix the thing all the time i would recomend buying as big a deck as possible 72" or 61" with a big engine. i use scag and swear by them but what ever. bigger is always better. for 20 acres you do not want to be on a 48 or 52.
  7. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

for 20 acres, you need a fleet of z's!!
  8. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses.

But the main purpose of this mower is to get around trees and fencelines on the 20 acres that my tractor 72" finish mower can't get to. I also have another house I need to cut and don't want to go above a 48" because it would make mowing that property difficult.
  9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If your looking for a small mower to trim with I would suggest a Dixie Chopper silver eagle with either a 44 inch or 50 inch deck. They should be in your price range. A Hustler Fastrac would also work well for you and would be in your price range.
  10. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

I was at a dealer that carried the Gravely and the Dixie Chopper. He recommended the Gravely. After doing some reading on this forum, Hustler and Exmark seem to be highly regarded.

How are the Fastraks? Hustler says it's for the residential marketplace. What is the price on the Fastrak and how about a Mini Z or is that out of my price range?

Also thinking about an Exmark Lazer HP, but again, don't know if that's in the price range.

I'm going to the dealer next week to check prices. It's hard to know what street prices are compared to MSRP. If anyone can help with some street prices I'd appreciate it.