Duramax, 1st oil change.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawn king, Jan 2, 2008.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Im getting the first oil change done at the dealer tomorrow. I have to get my inspection sticker anyway so i thought i would have them drop the break in oil (1400 miles). I guess you have to pull a wheel well panel to get to the filter and i want them to show me how to do it.

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

The first oil change is due at 1400? I have 2600 on mine. I thought it was at or around 3k? You should get your front/rear diff changed too to get all the metal shavings out of there. The tranny fluid/filter should also be done too.

3. L&L

L&L LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Yeah I would say 1400 is a little early especially for a diesel. They put special oil to help the break in process and draining it early could be a problem. I have 3000 miles on mine and I will probably change it around 4000K

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I'm about at 6k and will be going in soon. Never heard any such thing about an early change from anyone including the dealer.

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I have pushed lots of snow already (severe duty).

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

interesting...i bought my doodge brand new, and didnt change the oil til 8000 miles...

7. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you have to pull out the fender well, that is the fuel filter up there, it can be done with out removing anything.

Allison Transmission, I change the spin on filter each oil change. (about 5K) Fuel filter 10K. Do Not Get YOUR Allison Filter from GM, they were charging $38 bucks. The local Allison Dealer (exact Filter) is less than $10

8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Ford oil is way more versatile and way more fun to change.

9. the cleaner

the cleaner LawnSite Member

This truck has the easiest filters to change.It takes me about 15 min to do the oil and filter, and the fuel filter.If you need to know how let me know, also get yourself a Fumoto Valve it makes changing your oil simple and clean no spills. Google fumoto valve..

content's of home 502.jpg

10. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

On my new one they wanted to change the oil at 3,000. I took it in and let them change it. At 1400 miles in my honest opinion that is way too early. After the first oil change you should be fine at 6,000. I read an article a while back on oil and they said cars and trucks should be fine every 6,000. I have been doing it for a few years now and cannot tell any difference than when I changed earlier except for the added cost of oil and filters.