Duramax and Allison Transmission

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by CCLC, Feb 1, 2001.

1. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard a lot of positive things about GM's new duramax diesel and allison transmission combo. I went to the dealer to check one out yesterday and WOW. $4800.00 for the engine upgrade and $1200.00 for the transmission. I didn't realize the upfront cost of these engines. Has anyone purchased one?

2. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

They are out of their minds.

3. earth works inc.

earth works inc. LawnSite Member

i have looked at them, but they are a little pricey. the allison transmission is suppose to be tough as nails and you have a hookup for a pto if you need it.

my dealer qouted around $38,000 for a cab and chassis. he did mention that the 4x4's where not coming with a snow plow prep. i asked him if a plow was put on then would the warranty be voided and he replied yes.

seem crazy to me to build a truck like that and not have set up for a commercial plower.

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

From sifting thru the postings here, it seems nobody has actually bought one, but are just aping the rhetoric spewed forth by Madison Ave types.

Think about those sprite commercials, image is everything (?)

My wimpy Dodge 3/4 ton gas 5.9 has a PTO port, came with the plow package.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Your Dodge has a PTO plate on the automatic transmission?

Everything about the new HD/Duramax/Allison series look good except for two things....1) PRICE!!! and 2) Reverse gear is too low! I'm still saving my pennies for a 2002 though!

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

You can get a plow prep, and it wont void your warranty. Many times with the diesel package you get all the plow prep items with it. HD front springs, all the coolers, dual batts, and hd rear springs. The allison must have the pto option from the factory, so not all allisons trannies will have that feature. You have to talk to a commercial sale person, the floor guys dont have a clue. and the allison is a 2200.00 option not 1200.00. the d max option is about the same as a cummins option tho, and alot less than a HO cummins option.
    As far as the low reverse goes, remember that the d max, only has the 3.73 gears available, so if you are used to 4.10 rear gears, then the rpms in reverse will be about the same.
    that 38K seems high, I demoed a fully loaded 3500 x cab pick up, will all the goodies except leather for 38K, so a cab and chassis should be less. I also looked at the same truck in dodge packaging,with the HO cummins and 6 sp, and it was the same money.
    Its been mentioned that the Gm frame still isnt all that strong, but one has to remember that they use a new forming process, that allows them to use a smaller box frame, that is stronger than c channel frames. Its called hydro forming, and it uses water under high pressure to form the rails. They also have added more cross beams, that stiffens the frame. I went to the power launch tour, and all three brands were side by side, and the gm frame had the least amount of frame flex when going over whoops, yet still had the best traction from the ifs. In fact with all three having limited slip rear diffs, the gm was the only truck to go through the whoops without 4wd. They really do make a great rear locker.
    Now the ford and dodge people will poo poo this, but I dont care. That is why they make 3 brands. You can have yours, and I will have mine.

7. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

You may not realize this but an awful lot of the concrete mixers on the road run Allison transmissions.

Bruce
    Happy Plowing

8. CCLC

Actually I looked at another GM truck today. If your spend $4800 for the Duramax the Allison Tranny is $1200. If you opt for the 8100 gas enging the same Allison Tranny is $2300. Go figure...

9. Plowboy

Plowboy LawnSite Member

I want one really really bad, but due to the power of the $ I will get another ford. the other issue is all local dealers say 8-10 months on all orders, and then no guarantees that you will get it then.

10. CCLC

I have only been able to find 1 duramax on a dealers lot (though I have looked too much). But it was an undesirable type truck. 3/4 ton, 2wheel drive, 4 door, long box.