Duramax, Cummins or Power stroke

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Az Gardener, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Time to buy a truck I want a diesel this time, shopping late model (99-02) used crew cab for the crew pulling a light 16ft enclosed trailer. No riders or walk behinds just 25"-27" reel mowers and typical pruning tools etc. In the Phoenix heat (97 and cloudy right now). I'm going to post this and get back out in the field. I Look forward to some direction from you old school guys when I return this afternoon. PS. I'm sure this has been gone over before but after 2-hours I can't find it.
  2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I like the dodges, i'd rather be cummin than strokin

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

It sounds like you have a light load. Why do you need the big trailer?
    Can you get a little 5X10 and just get a Ranger or S10.
    As far as asking about which truck to buy---the cheapest one.
    They all will do the job and they all will break down and need service.
    This is a "to each their own" answer.

But the Ford has to come before the Dodge :p

And by the way the word dodge is in the dictionary

"Move to avoid" :D

Just funning as any one of the AMERICAN trucks will be OK.
    I guess that I am old school but I will not buy foreign.
  6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am guessing by the end of this thread, you will have about 25 different opinions ranging from all diesil engines to every gas engine out there because someone is going to think you need a gas engine instead of a diesil engine. Just go out and test drive everything known to man, narrow it down and repeat until you have landed on the truck you like the most.
  7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Both the Duramax and the Power Stroke seem to be ok engines. Cummins however has been in the diesel business for decades upon decades. These engines are known to run as high as 1,000,000 miles without a rebuild. This is a hands down answer if your looking for the best diesel out there. Cummins without a dought.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Cummins with a manual. Try to get a 12 valve or a 3rd generation 24 valve, the 2000-2002 cummins had sh!tty injection pumps with them. Either way definately stick with the cummins.
  9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

All three are fine. When the Ford 6.0 first came out, it had problems, but as far as I know that has been taken care of. Everyone seems to like the older 7.3 (I have a 2000 F-250 7.3 and love it).

From talking to people, completely unscientific, in general;

Dodge seems to average slighty higher fuel mileage. Depends greatly on how you drive them. Depending on model, they can be Loud.

Ford seems to be right in the middle; good power, decent mileage, etc.

Chevy has the Allison transmission. All I've heard is how great this thing is. Also, at least with the newer ones, the Duramax diesel is QUIET compared to the others.

Everyone I've talked to with any of these trucks likes them.
  10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I need the bigger trailer for space. We maintain upscale residental homes so we don't cut a lot of grass but we do a lot of trimming, we check and replace low voltage lights, and carry irrigation parts for repairs as well as fertilizers/spreader, Tree stakes, we also carry a anchor case for putting anchors in walls to tie up woody vines. There is more but you probably get the picture. Take all that times two because I run a "split crew" 2-3 guys at one house and 2 at another close by, each crew member has a cart with all the tools for their respective tasks. So no running back and forth to the trailer (theoretically speaking) One truck and trailer and one foreman and two production crews.