duramax deisels

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by gmcplowtruck, Jun 3, 2007.

1. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

i currently have a 2006 gmc 6.0 gas dump truck and i get 7 mpg im thinking of tradeing it in or saleing it for a duramax what do you think
    whats the goods and bads what kind of mpg would i expect stock and just to say it will be a a GM vehicle that i stick with thanks

2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Next time go diesel but its probably not worth trading in an 06 gasser on a diesel. You're gonna take a major hit on your almost new truck and then take it again when you buy a more expensive diesel. You'd prob only get 12-13 with the diesel. That said, I do love my duramax.

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My truck also gets 7 MPG, but it weighs 34,000 unloaded, and 66,000 fully loaded!:weightlifter:

DSCN0650.jpg

4. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

with my duramax i get between 12 and 14mpg towing 12,000-14,000#. empty i get between 16 and 20 depending on the how or where i'm driving. i also live in a mountainous area. good luck and you will love the duramax/allison combo.

5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

No matter what you trade in on, you're going to get beat up on that new a truck. But the LBZ Duramax trucks are bad azz.:weightlifter:

6. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

you are definetly going to take a hit trading up, but it worth it, ive had a 5.3/8.1/6.0 and am ready for the diesel now. Im looking for a low milage 04, seems like this is my best bet for 20+ mpg. The newer ones are getting great fuel economy with all the emissions bull

7. JD657757

JD657757 LawnSite Member
    from chicago

I just did the same thing, well kind of. I traded in a 2006 2500 HD for a 2008 F350 with the 6.4. So far it seemed to be worth it.

8. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

the typical break even point for going with the added cost of diesels is 3-4 years,with your dilema i think u have added another 1.5-2 to the equation..if u r going to keep the new diesel for 5-7 years then takeing a hit now will pay off much later on, and will allways continue to payoff as long as repairs are non exhistent. I dont know if u know, but the repair bills on those durajunkers are astronomical..yeah i know 5 year warrenty, but for that sucker to payoff u have to keep it long after the warrenty has expired.

9. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

the break even point in this business is no where near 3-4 years. WTF where did you go to school at. And duramax engines have less problems than any others on the market. Maybe injectors on your LB7's (which are warrentied till 200K now. GM is great about warrenty issues unlike some others, cough cough.

Breakdown prices
    2007-Crew Cab 2500HD with duramax engine. 35,599
    2007-Crew Cab 2500HD with 6.0Lt engine, 32,670
    Difference- Roughly 3K.
    Diesel Price 2.79 per gallon.
    gas price-3.01per gallon
    difference 22 cents per gallon. about 6 bucks a tank.

MPG
    Gas- 10mpg
    Diesel-15mpg
    difference 5mpg.

So average of 12k miles a year.
    12,000/15mpg=800x2.79per gallon=2232.00 a year for diesel.
    12000/10=1200x3.01per gallon=3612 a year for gas.

Now this is just a simple version here overall. In a little over 2 years you would break even, not to mention the resale value is higher. Here in nebraska this would only take a little over a year to break even with diesel being 60+cents cheap a gallon. Not to mention with a little modding people are seeing mid to high 20's in their diesels fuel economy.

10. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 07 duramax dump w/ the 6 spd auto. Its doing pretty good on fuel. I havent calculated it out yet. Its a badass truck.