Duramax v. Caterpillar v. Navistar Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by blackoakstone, Apr 13, 2008.

1. blackoakstone

blackoakstone LawnSite Member

Hoping to get some ideas on this. I am looking at medium duty rigs and have 3 that I'm going between.

1. 2004 4500 Duramax w/ Allison 78,000 miles Hydraulic brakes Single cab

2. 2000 F650 Caterpillar 3126 Turbo 62,000 miles Air brakes Single cab

3. 2000 F650 Navistar w/ Hyper Max and 6SP EATON FS 5306 trans. 43,000 miles Hydraulic brakes Crew cab

The truck will be used for stone, soil, and mulch. Pulling heavier equipment. All for residential this year. I am looking for motor input and pros/cons of anything you may see.

I am certainly getting one of them. They are all within $1000 of each other.

I know they are all good trucks, but does anyone see anything that points one in a better direction than the others?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to any and all input.

2. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

I use to work at the local utility and all the trucks their had the cat motor in them. These trucks did not get the proper maintance and idled for hours at a clip. Most of these trucks would run 24 hours a day as we were on rotating shifts. CATS are the best engine I personal have ever drove. They may not be the fastest, but I don't buy trucks to set speed records. Hope this helps. I also am a ford fan so that makes me a one sided buyer I guess.

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

#1 cat (plus it has air brakes)
    #2 navistar
    #3 duramax

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

ditto, and once you drive a truck w/ air brakes you'll want nothing else

5. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the F650 with air brakes, like said above once you stop with air brakes you will want nothing else. They handle loads so much safer. As far as the 3126 Cat, all the ones I have drove were gutless. I am not a fan of Cat engines, I am more of a Cummins guy.

6. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the posts above me. Plus I think the 7.3 in the F650 would be underpowered for that size of a truck.

7. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

i myself have a 650 and 2 f-750 fords with cat engines in them with allison auto.. for some reason my f650 feels faster then the 750's when loaded i dont know why.. sometimes the 750's feel slow when loaded.. but there real good engines no problems...

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

airbrakes..........650 is heavier built then the 4500.......i just bought a 4500 dmax.......zippy truck and turn on a dime, yet to put into production though.

9. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

i have hydrualic brakes in my trucks

10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

??????????