Duramax vs. Powerstroke 7.3 vs. Cummins

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by blackoakstone, Nov 30, 2007.

1. blackoakstone

blackoakstone LawnSite Member

I'm pretty new to the forum and have read a lot of talk about trucks. I'm looking for a new Bobcat/Mini X hauler and am beginning to wonder which engine to go with. I'm wondering what the general attitude is as to which one is going to give me the least headache.
    I'm sure this has come up (I noticed it in another thread) several times, but I would like to be able to ask questions/learn w/o dragging up an old post...
    Thanks in advance for any help/warnings.
    Jay

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

They are all good motors if you can find one somebody hasn't messed with (chips, boxes, performance injectors, etc). The D'max and 7.3 Ford both use glow plugs, as opposed to the grid heater of the Cummins. The grid heater is a far superior set up for cold weather. Probably not a deal breaking issue for you though.

3. DieselOnly

DieselOnly LawnSite Member

I, personally, wouldn't go with an '07-'08 model of any of them, except, maybe the Duramax. '06 and older, no question, 5.9 Cummins. Truck around it ain't great, but the engine isn't bad. None of the three are, really, but, IMHO, the 5.9 Cummins is the best common rail diesel in a pickup. The 2nd gen Cummins 12 valve with a P7100 is probably, IMHO, the most able (easiest to get big HP from) diesel ever put in a pickup. These are just my opinions.

4. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd personally get a Dmax since i like the GM truck styling. Thats just my opinion.

5. blackoakstone

Bosch does it, huh? V12... Hear good things. Hard to find in my area. Haven't seen many, that is.

No go on the 08s? Thought there may be a reason for the 0% financing....:rolleyes:

I'm really tired of buying "trouble." I am very grateful for any advice on certain years to avoid and strong motors to look into.

Thanks again.

6. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

As far as super reliable trucks, the 94-98 12 valve Cummins trucks are the gold standard. They are the ones that made the Cummins/Dodge rep for reliable motors and longevity. The 98.5-02 trucks run good, but are prone to injector pump failure if the lift pump goes south. The 89-93 trucks are great too, if you don't want to turn the power up to "ridiculous". The '03-06 trucks had some trouble with injectors intially, but they've come out with a finer fuel filter for them that should take care of it. The CR trucks always start, and if you aren't a nut get pretty good mileage, but not as good as the earlier trucks due to being quite a bit heavier. The only reason I'd worry about the '07 is that it's a new motor, the 6.7 in the catalog previously was a tractor engine, this one is a bored and stroked 5.9. I'd run away from Ford that are '03 and newer, unless you can find one of the oddball '03s with the 7.3 in it. Only thing with the 7.3 is they won't start if you walk by it with an ice cream cone, the glow plugs are an ongoing maintenance thing with them from what I've heard. Pretty much all the D'maxes are good trucks.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

This was one of the first questions I ever asked on here too. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=120213

That is the link for hours of opinions. This is the abbreviated version of the prevailing opinions back in late 05

Powerstroke's are good but expensive to maintain and repair. (I disagree)

Cummins get the best mileage and are cheapest to maintain or repair but the transmissions that are attached are suspect.

Duramax seemed to be hit or miss, either very good or lemons and repairs and maint seemed to be between the other two as far as costs go. The Allison transmission is by far the best.

With all that said I bought a Dodge with the Cummins and I love that truck. Great up the hills and good mileage so far no problems. I am pulling it out of the field next week to be my personal truck. It gets 14-15 MPG around town with 4-6 guys in the truck debris in the bed pulling the 16' enclosed trailer with light equipment.

It is being replaced by a UD cab over with a 14' dump bed. I test drove a Mitsubishi a couple of weeks ago with the trailer and it pulled the trailer in flat ground as good or better than the Dodge. Didn't go up any mountain roads though.

I also borrowed my brother in laws Powerstroke a 05 I believe F-350 and I hated that truck. It was so loud I couldn't talk on the phone. It also had a significant lapse in time from when you put your foot on the accelerator to when you actually started going. I got 15.5 MPG around town nothing in the truck but me.

Hope all this helps I would suggest shopping for slightly used. I have found great bargins. My 04 Dodge 3/4 ton with the crew cab and Larime package with 17-K was 24-K. The UD is a 06 model 1300, single cab, with the 14 ft dump and roll tarp and yes 3-K miles for 29-K.

Happy shopping

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

How big of a mini excavator are you planning on hauling ?

The new P/U trucks today are pretty well junk they don't last they are not reliable.

If the truck is going to be used allot pulling the ex or a skid better off with a medium duty truck.

9. DISTURBEDSMR

DISTURBEDSMR LawnSite Member

I own a 02 duramax and have beat on it severely it has been chipped, straight pipe since 12,000 miles, ram air. I have had this thing under water four wheelin and I am not joking about the underwater over loaded hauling stuff I do not baby my trucks at all only problem injectors have been replaced twice under warranty, replaced water pump 180,000 miles. Go to dieselplace.com every problem that has ever happened is on there.

10. blackoakstone

Biggest mini-x would be around 7500 lbs (3400 kg).

The Duramax sounds great. Everything I have heard has been good. I have always had pretty good luck with Chevrolet. We run two C-30s right now. Good trucks.

Cummins makes a great engine. I don't like the idea that the tranny that comes with them could be a flop. Have many people had tranny probs with them?

I really like the Ford, but it scares me to hear so much bad feedback. I haven't looked into Fords too much, but I appreciate the heads up on years to avoid.

Thank you guys for helping me here. I hope to learn more, so keep it coming.
    Thanks.