1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Duramax ???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TNGrassCutter, Oct 31, 2010.

1. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking at trading my Silverado 1500 for a 2500 gmc sierra with the duramax diesel and allison trans. How many miles can I expect these motors and trannys to last? it has 150k but looks like it is in very good shape

2. Moto52

Moto52 LawnSite Member

It totally depends on how it was maintained for those 150k, a 2007 duramax just came into my buddys shop with 300,000 miles and it was original..

3. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

There is no telling with proper maint changing filters that kinda thing. Look out for when those injectors go you're looking at $4 K That and your other wear parts have a shorter life span than the engine it self. But I've been told at 150k miles its still not quite broke in
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. djlunchbox

djlunchbox LawnSite Member

4K??! damn. is that for a new injector pump ( not sure if the 6.6L even has one) or just the injectors? is that labor too?

i ask because i am shopping for a new personal tuck now.

5. lawnpropm

No my friend that's just the injectors with labor at the dealership an injection pump is about$ 2500 installed. I think having a diesel is well worth it as long as its making money for you. They are expensive to work on tho. I wouldn't have anything else love my dmax!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a friend telling me the other day he knew someone who had the Duramax and they were having injector issues. They start leaking and you see fuel in the oil.

7. lawnpropm

Yea u will notice trouble when they going bad. You will either get blue smoke out the tail pipe that's constant or you will catch hell trying to start it. Poor fella just so happen when mine went bad they were on recall I believe. Your truck had to be within a certain year and less than 120k miles I believe. Tell your friend to check with the nearest dealer
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. djlunchbox

djlunchbox LawnSite Member

that is insane! i will make sure whatever d-max i get will be under 120k! lol. anyone know the details on that recall?

9. lawnpropm

Not sure exactly I know this.much c I went thru it all the pump wasn't under warranty but the injectors killed the pump. U would be surprised the what the psi need to be on the fuel to crank these trucks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Go to thedieselplace.com you will find what yrs had the injector issues. I think..but not sure that it was 05 and older....