Dust, Dust, Dust

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adrianrog, Nov 4, 2007.

1. adrianrog

adrianrog LawnSite Member

Johnny Q Homeowner here. I just bought an 07 Exmark Lazer Z HP w/ 46" deck. I previously mowed with a 33" Snapper. It came with high lift blades, and while the cut looks great, I make a dust cloud that looks a bomb has gone off. Do you normally get a dust clound like that? I'm in GA and as everyone knows, we've had very little rain this year.

Should I switch to another blade? Will the cut still look as good? If I switch to a mulching kit, will I have as much dust? If you recommend staying with this blade, how do you keep the dust out of your eyes?

Thanks in advance,

BTW, The cut looks great so far and I've never had to clean out the deck yet. I read all the Triton complaints, but I can't figure out what the fuss is about. I'm glad I got this one.
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

High lift blades are the best and you just have to put up with the dust during dry periods. Highlift blades are best at sucking up the grass(good) and dust(bad). Low lift and gators will leave stringers especially non perfectly flat yards and yards you don't cut very low.
  3. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

high lift blades suck in the rain and the dry. once it rains you will have tons of clumping. lose the high lifts and try a mulch blade.
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Are we talking leaves or grass here? I use gators for mulching leaves or like was said--mulching blades. I tried once to close off the shoot when using gators and got covered with dust myself as the dust couldn't go out the side
  5. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait till the wind is blowing and then cut, the wind blows the dust away and if you plan your passes you can stay out of the dust completely
  6. lawnjockey56

i assume grass as he said he likes the cut but not the dust
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The only yards I know of that raise such clouds are, in a nutshell, improperly maintained:

- They either get cut too often, or too low (at least 3" cut height) which results in the lawn dyeing in the heat and drought.
    - There doesn't really exist a lawn to speak of, it's either been ruined by the cut in the drought, and / or it hasn't seen any real maintenance beyond cutting in some years.

Because these mowers have a higher than usual blade rpm, they are designed to LIFT and throw some grass, you can easily let it go several more days between cuts but it takes practice... Most homeowners I would assume are used to the days of their 21" or whatever model, these things are incapable of dealing with the taller, thicker lawns that a commercial unit can handle. It does take practice, if you let it go too long you suffer all the same, but it can get noticeable higher between cuts, it really shouldn't be a problem.

Then I'm not so sure, if it's nothing but very thin grass or maybe just a bunch of weeds, with either bare spots or it's so thinned out that it might as well be bare, that's what raises the dust is the intense lift of the blades, but it comes from the soil, so the lawn should be thick enough to cover this.

Now a higher cut height and more time between cuts helps in this regard, of course a regular lawn maintenance program is a must.
    Usually when it's thick and tall enough to where I'm eating grass, that sounds about right :laugh:
  8. lawnjockey56

you obviously have never mowed in georgia or florida
  9. adrianrog

adrianrog LawnSite Member

In Georgia, you can get dust in even the most lush lawns, particularly when we've had so little rain. I had a little dust with the Snapper, but nothing like the Exmark.

You are right though, I bought this house 3 years ago and the lawn was mostly weeds. I'm working on it a little at the time and it looked much better than last year. I maintain almost 4 acres, so it'll take me a little time. I never expect all of it to look like a golf course, but around the house, I'd like it to be that nice.

To the person who said to get mulch blades, do you mean just the wavy blades or a whole mulch kit? I looked for Gators, but they're not made for Triton decks yet.