Dusting cars

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LiVe2, May 11, 2001.

1. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

I dont know if this has ever been posted but I allways have someone come up to me and say I got grass on there car. Most of time I just blow it off with the blower. Does anyone else have this happen to them?
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, but whats worse is the guy I had to pass yesterday that was sitting in the grass being so nice as to let people pass.....................with the chute pointed toward the road and the blades wide open with no deflector or nothing! He should have gotten the hint when all the cars were heading for the other lane trying to escape his debris field.

Had his hat turned around looking all cool and shick.............made me madder than hello!

OHHhhhhhhwwweeeeeWWWWWWEEEEEEEEE.............if he'd a hit my truck with a rock I'd a hurt him!:eek:

Some folks don't need to wake up in the morning.............
  3. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Blowing off of vehicles is possibly even more important than blowing of walks and drives. Also, be mindful of neighboring properties, when houses and drives are close together. We work in neighborhoods where some homes can be as little as eight feet apart, so even window sills become an issue. If the neighbors of your customers see that you're concerned about their property during clean-up, I think they may call you when they need someone :)
  4. That's why I'm glad I have a Dixie Chopper with the OCDC. Even before I bought my DC I was always careful when mowing around cars. If I do happen to get some dust or grass on a car I make sure I blow it off good.

Can't say the same for some of the other guys here, most don't care. One LCO owner here was heard to say when one of his commercials asked him to be careful around the parking lot, he told them, "they know I come to mow on Mondays, they can park somewhere else", his crew has peppered cars with grass and gravel, no class :mad: . They mow with deflectors up at all times. I don't think he will be renewed when his current contract runs out, but he is known to be a lowballer.
  5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

we blow off all the cars we come near while working. standard policy.
  6. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

At our apartment complex we trim the walkways right next to cars and ALWAYS make sure every car looks just like it did when we got there. It keeps the complaints from tennants down.
  7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

you should never blow grass on the road, at people, and should try to get as little as possible on the drive and side walks. thats why you take 2 laps around the lawn blowing the grass in, some guys around here only take one but that just isn't enough to make a proper trangle turn and being able to avoid blowing grass where it shouldn't be.
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

gotta blow the dust off the cars ....window sills ....screen pools areas ...play ground stuff ....anything you got debris on ;->

weed whacking around opens pools sometimes one guy needs to use a blower keep the stuff out of the pool when the weed whacker is near ....or dip it out

it's the details which will get you word of mouth referrals
  9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to jump in here with a question. First, I definitely make sure that I blow off everything that I got dirty. Sorta like putting my toys up. :)

My question is this. How do you get your new guys to pick up on the details? I want ANYone that works with me to be as or more professional as I am.
  10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Good luck!:D

Part of the "details" you tend to pay close attention to comes from being the owner, employees are not or don't have the stake in the business you do and most could really care less about your reputation. Not all of them but most.