Dwarf Alberta Spruce Problems

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mmacsek, Mar 19, 2006.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I'm having some problems with Dwarf Alberta Spruce turning brown. Sorry i don't have pictures but the plant looks healthy on one side and the other half is brown and needles fall off. The last plant I bought was for Christmas at our house. I put the plant in the garage after the holidays,Cool temp., and sarting to set it outside and the brown is accelerating. I put white paper towels under the tree and shook it to see if I can see any pests to no avail. These plants are not being overwatered. The problem is with any Dwarf Spruce I plant. They are not bought at the same nursery. Any ideas? Thanks Matt
  2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

The problems I had when planting these on my Garden Railroad was usually root bound. This may help you out:
    Well that may not work after all. Search using the words dwarf alberta spruce. And change the topic it searches from 'News' to 'Plants and Gardening'. Those are the main trees we use for our layouts.
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Dwarf Alberta's are a pain. They need full sun or they'll die out, especially on the side planted near a building. Then there are spider mites. It sounds as if you may have left yours in the garage for too long.
  4. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, Thanks for the quick reply. For future reference, How do you tell if spider mites are present? Matt
  5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

6. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

It is most likely spruce spider mite, Try getting the trees wet on a regular basis, ie if you have a sprinkler system, try to turn the spray into the plant. Spider mites cant stand wet conditons.
  7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

how to check for spider mite is get a piece of clean all white paper take a somewhat dead branch and tap it on the paper. the insect is almost invisible its so small, they are red in color and are smaller than the size of a grain of table salt.
  8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I use the method that Joshua has mentioned.
  9. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

You said the 1/2 of the spruce is turning brown. Is it the side facing the sun? Does it start turning brown in Dcember - January? Dwarf Albertas are very susceptible to desication in the winter. Ideally they should have protection from wind and mid-day sun. We've got one next to the office door that is all brown on the south side. It started turning color around the first of the year. If it's not too severe new growth will cover up the brown needles.
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Ya know I have seen this problem quite a bit in these
    tree's.Mosst times there are no mite problems..the dang things just die on one side for no apparent reason.I have removed many of these with the exact
    symptoms and found NO rhyme or reason for it.I think it might be genetic