Dwarf Bermuda Question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Hawg City Lawns, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lawn that i do and half of it is a dwarf bermuda and the other half is a 7 grass mix seed (clearly seen on second picture halfway across yard) other than killing off the rest and sodding would it be possible to leave the 7 grass mix and plug some bermuda in it? Im trying to match the whole yard with dwarf bermuda btw.

dwarf bermuda
    [​IMG]

7 grass mix
    [​IMG]

2. Hawg City Lawns

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

If you feed the entire lawn with up to 1 lb N and 1/2 lb K per month of growing season, the bermuda is favored. Also, start mowing the lawn with a reel mower set between 1" and 1/2". The lower you go and the more often you mow, the bermuda is again favored. Is this lawn irrigated? If not, none of what I am telling you so far is any good. You can plug bermuda into the lawn, wait for it to become established and in the meantime care for it to shift the grass to bermuda. When the lawn is mostly bermuda, there are two herbicides that can be used in combination that are lethal to most grasses other than bermuda. 2 applications of 1 lb simazine and 11.43 oz Image DG applied one month apart will kill most cool season grasses with minimal injury to the bermuda provided it is on irrigation and fertilized with sufficient N. Revolver will also do it with even less injury, but that is around $180 per quart. Hybrid bermuda has extremely poor tolerance to herbicides if it is underfertilized and not irrigated. I do not want to hear about rain being enough unless 1.5 inches falls every single week in the growing season. I just fired two customers who refused to have an automatic irrigation system put in. We get under 20 inches per year in a 12 month growing season.

4. Hawg City Lawns

thanks alot for the info it is irrigated but they havent turned on the system due to too much rainfall this year we are averaging about 3 in a week right now and we are about 15 in above average on the year scotts lawn is the ones who fertilize so im guessing it is getting the right amount of fert. is there a ph test i can do to tell?