Dwarf Burning bush seedling question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grasswhacker, Mar 12, 2008.

1. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

A couple of years ago I took some of the seedlings from some dwarf burning bushes and put them in pots for transplanting later on. They have done very well, and now I want to plant them. My question is, will they be dwarf or will they go back to standard size burning bush shrubs?

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Euonymus alatus compactus, dwarf burning bush is only a dwarf in it's wings, the protrusions off it's branches or twigs compared to the parent plant, winged euonymus. There have been some growers that are attempting to create a true small shrub version of this plant. One of the plants other common names is compact winged euonymous. Something else to be aware of, this plant is registered in many states as a nonnative invasive. The small fruits it produces are eaten by wildlife and spread throughout native woodlands.

Kirk

3. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

At least in NE they are invasive, no longer available, don't plant it!

4. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

I have yet to see a burning bush growing in the wild yet there are plenty in landscapes. Maybe not invasive everywhere. I recall seing a dwarf called little moses in some catalogs but can't remember sizes.