DWI on lawn mower a felony

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerconsultant, Mar 29, 2002.

1. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Not that I do this, but here is a nice article to read.........
    I think this guy was mowing for beer........lol

DWI on lawn mower a felony

March 29, 2002

By Jon Hand
    Staff writer

Michael P. Kocur has likely learned an important lesson from his most recent criminal conviction: Friends don't let friends drink and "mow."

The Port Byron man pleaded guilty Thursday in Cayuga County Court to felony driving while intoxicated and aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.

The motor vehicle was Kocur's red riding lawn mower and attached wagon, which he was driving July 1 on Centerport Road in Mentz.

Kocur, 39, told Judge Peter E. Corning that he was driving the mower, a friend was riding in the wagon, and the pair was picking up trash along the side of the road.

"Which goes to prove ...," the judge told Kocur, "... that no good deed goes unpunished."

Cayuga County Sheriff's Deputy Michael Lupo ordered the mower to the side of the road and eventually arrested Kocur for what would become his fifth driving-while-intoxicated conviction.

When Corning asked Kocur if he had a drivers license when he was arrested, Kocur said: "I didn't think I needed one to ride a riding lawn mower."

He is scheduled to be sentenced May 9.

© 2002 The Post-Standard. Used with permission.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

u know how people always say "here comes the police car" well i think they need police tractors!!!!! a nice craftsman with a lightbar and siren :D :p

3. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Actually a Craftsman tractor would be too slow, have to get like a Dixie Chopper or some souped up lawn mower for those high speed chases across the lawns :D
    Matt(lawnman)

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

true a dixie with strobes sounds like a good one for me

5. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

I can't believe we have criminals like this running loose in this country.

What about violation of seat belt laws? Slow moving vehicle warning sign? Lights? Horn? Impeding the flow of traffic? Public intoxication? Reckless endangerment of life?

Where does this guy think he lives? In the land of the free? I think not.

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

When my wife and I were up in Orlando recently we saw a guy (at night) riding a lawn tractor up and down the road. I have to say that was a first for me. I don't know if he was intoxicated or not, my guess would be... yea, probally. LOL

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i wonder if he got grounds maintenence duty on the chain gang as his probation?:D

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We have a couple of older guys in the local Town who drive lawn mowers. All decked out in chrome hub caps, fake chrome pipes, flames etc. I would really like to take some pics but haven't had the nerve yet. And yes they have multiple DUI's and drug charges against them. The local police know them and for the most part they are harmless. The one guy actually uses his mower to cut the local restaurant in return for meals.

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm.... If thay call a riding lawn mower a motor vehicle. Then dosnt that mean we all have to register, get plates, inspected, and have insurance on them? Hmm... Where did my title go.... Would I be breaking the law by driving on lawns that are marked no vehicles past this point?

This could start a whole bunch of poop...

10. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I was once told by an officer that if it has a motor and its on the street- it needs a licence and you could get every offence that applies (seatbelts, no lights, ect) if they felt like it!:rolleyes: