1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dye in herbicide mix

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by anderson lawn, Jan 23, 2002.

1. anderson lawn

anderson lawn LawnSite Member

anybody have any exprience using colored dye in your herb mix? Pro's - Con's ? Any color better? Dye stains any problems?
  2. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

The dyes are water soluable...they will wash off in the rain- how soon depends on the mix.
    PROS- Calibration, avoid double spraying, Customer knows where treated area is, AVOID OR DETECT DRIFT!!!
    CONS- Customer sees ap area, area looks like splattered food coloring(anal people HATE it!!)
    ADVICE- Mix light! In my bedspray (post) it has SURFLAN so it being orange lets me know where I've been. For turf ap's I like the blue stuff....there's lots out there...any will do! Try it!

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

For spot spraying of weeds in turf, the blue dyes (original Blazon and others) are most useful. Blazon stands out as you are spraying but quickly fades in sunlight so it is barely noticeable in a few hours. Cheaper knockoffs do not fade as readily, but are better than nothing. Unless you mark weeds sprayed in a spot treatment, how do you know if you've sprayed one particular weed yet, or maybe you already sprayed it 5 times?

Would be a costly practice to use dyes in a broadcast spray, though. If you wish a border marked for a broadcast spray, there are setups to install a spray tip at the ends of booms. This sprays a single line of foam or dye to mark the edges of your spray swaths.

Staining: you're not going to stain anything with the finish spray mix. But do use check valves in spray tips so you don't drip obvious blue dots crossing pavements. If you spill the concentrate, though, you'll have a blue mark on pavement for a looonnnngggg time.
  4. Where can I get such a system?

Becker Underwood turf marking dye.
  5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen them used on golf equipment, don't know if there are also ag applications. A good chemical application equip supplier should help you. Start with Westheffer.

Need to consider the width of your spray pattern. If doing 15', the marker will be hard to line up on your next pass - can go correct parallel direction, but will not be able to detect overlap or skipping. May want the marker to extend half the width out from each end, so the marker would be used to line up next pass easily, right in front of you. (Just one boom for marker, flips from side to side.)
  6. anderson lawn

anderson lawn LawnSite Member

found these foam marking systems today at

Called and they said that are new to the green industry but have
    built foam systems for Ag industry for years.

7. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

We use the blue dye for roundup applications, broadleaf spot spray, and sterilent applications. It was great! Did not have to second guess an area. The blue faded completely in a few days.
    Residential customers liked seeing it cause it was immediate proof we do what we claim.
  8. Thanks for the link I ordered one.

Yes same here, I like the idea of having all the proof you were there you can have.

Although it is not the cheapest, it can save you doubling up time by marking what you did.
  9. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Last year was the first time we did use it based upon a recommendation from the lesco dealer. The down side is at first is can be messy if your not used to it and you will know real quick if you have a leak in a hose or backpack sprayer. I think it was $20 for a quart of it, but you only use a few ml per gal.. Lesco calls it "tracker".