Dye my pond... right or wrong?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Carolina Cuts, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in a community where my house as well as ummm 20 others back up to a man made pond... good size pond. But it's still relatively new... has two fountains. The water is muddy brown... as if, under construction. Been that way for awhile. I've been tempted to order a gallon of the Blue Dye and dump it in..... supposively one gallon will be enough for an acre size pond 4-8 feet deep.

Is it morally/ethically wrong for me to do that on my own without telling anyone? :rolleyes:

2. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

that dye is not really the best thing for a natural pond..

3. Carolina Cuts

natural pond or ANY ponds? Cause it's definately man-made. All the rain water and whatnot from the streets drain into it.

4. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

i meant natural like with an ecosystem, plants etc.
    If its just a runoff and will be gone soon...go for it..

5. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

They always remind me of Porta-Pottys with the dyes.

Clear for me.

6. Carolina Cuts

yea right???
    I'm torn between clear and blue... Blue was $20.00/gallon plus delivery... figured I'd dump it in one night when no one is around... and just play 'stupid' when the neighbor brings it up.... ;)

7. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

How many decent storms do you think it might take to replace all the water in that pond? If you have a rough idea of how many acres flow into the pond and if a big rain is say 2 inches, you can do the math to see how fast your mony gets flushed away. At least wait to see if the water will ever clear before gambling your money.

send the 20 to me. I will buy beer with it and at least someone will get some benefit lol

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

That stuff looks great and wont hurt anything. The fish will bo ok.

Go for it