Dyed Mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrodgers, Mar 27, 2001.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Does anyone have an opinion on dyed mulch? Positive or negative? Keep in mind that it is basically shreadded up scrap wood dyed from what I understand.
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

It was being used last two seasons in this area (SW PA). I believe the mix here was half hardwood bark mulch, and half chipped discarded hardwood pallets. This mix meant that much of the material was "new" and would not quickly decompose. The "chips" part of the mix were larger pieces than the shredded hardwood bark, leaving a courser look to the beds. The chips were smaller than would typically come from a tree/brush chipper.

It was used sparingly by some homeowners. I did not spread any of the material. I was told it was $35/cu yd. I was paying $16/cu yd for double shredded hardwood bark mulch. Therefore, it was pretty expensive.

It held the color pretty well through the season, certainly better than standard hardwood bark mulch. However, I'm not sure that most would want to pay that price.

I will be interested to see how it wintered, that is, how much it decomposed and what will be needed to freshen the look. If the material is so slow to decompose, it will be difficult to freshen the look, without adding considerable thickness to the beds.
  3. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I have had alot of people asking for it this year.Installed 10.5 yards of the red yesterday.I think it looks good against certain color homes.I paid $24/yard so it is a little more costly.
  4. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

I am just not crazy about it because there is not a bit of dirt(to break it down) in the stuff that I used, also if it rains on it before the sun has a chance to dry it out (like if you are using it in the rain or just before) it loses alot of its color
  5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The wood refuse grinding and dying is just for ugly sites. The myraid colors are just a way to try to attract buyers. (Red "mulches" look great at McDonald's, I guess, but that's the only place.) Better to not mulch than use this junk. The all wood products I have seen here will not pack down. This results in gruesome washouts when used near paved areas - messy, messy. Because they don't pack and seal the surface, the are quite ineffective in weed control over the long term.

And then comes fall: Ha! - try to get leaves out of a bed with this garbage, without removing most of the wood garbage along with the leaves. Since it doesn't pack down, you can actually blow almost all of it out of beds. Of course, you could throttle down the blower, and leave many leaves tangled in the wood garbage. Sorry, but I would gag if I tried to call this stuff "mulch".
  6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

well guys in my area everyone wants the dies mulch, sure we have the other stuff but it only sells to cheap contractors with cheap customers. when i go to a landscaping site to bid everyone asks if i'm gunna use the dyed black. about 7 out of 10 houses have it, that have a landscape. every garden center has to have trucks come in every 3 days i think, sometimes sooner. 7 garden centers in my area carry it and its not offen that i have to wait a day because no one has it. when it comes to your area and customers see how great it looks you'll say the same thing that i am now.

who cares about leaves and how hard the are to get out, i charge by the hour and trust me when i say it doesn't take very long to clean beds with a rake (using it very softly) i hardly lose any mulch.
  7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Hate the dyed stuff. I will not put it down on any properties I maintain. My customers trust my decision and no one has complained.
  8. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I am am the same as Scraper. The only time I need dyed mulch is when it is around trees. My customers want it black. I just head to my local LESCO and get the dye and tank up. You have to do this every 2 months or so but it maintains the fresh look that seems to appeal to them. Also the popular mulch down here is the cypress...this already has the red tint in it so there is no need for dye.

[Edited by cajuncutter on 03-28-2001 at 08:07 AM]

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Red $32.00yd.
    Cypress $25.00yd.
    Hardwood $18.00yd.
    Pine Bark mix $18.00yd.
    Pine straw (long needle) $3.85 per bale
    Pine straw (short needle) $3.65 per bale
    Sometimes less depending on how much I buy.
  10. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

We give the customer what they want, if they want dyed mulch then that is what they get. They know the cost is more but they still want that certain color. We have never had problems with the stuff, and it will fade over winter just like any other mulch.Thats why we re- mulch every season.