1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dying Grass Problem

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by GrassInPA, Jul 25, 2006.

1. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

Here is the problem I'm having with one of my current customers. The spots you see in the attached pictures started happening recently. It is only in spots throughout the yard :confused: . According to the customer, she has a lawn service that fertilizes her yard in the spring, summer, and fall. She wants me to rake up all the dead grass and plant new grass. The other question is that I was wondering if it would be better to wait until fall since it hasn't been below 80 during the day here for a month or two? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Random 029.jpg

Random 032.jpg

Random 033.jpg

Random 031.jpg
  2. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

Is that a balloon in number 3?
  3. GrassInPA

I just realized now that it does look like it, but that is actually a piece of landscaping fabric (black plastic) that was laying on the lawn. That's pretty funny now though that I look at it.
  4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

wait for cooler temps in the fall and then renovate.
  5. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi my friend in Pa-

You need to wait to September to remedy the situation.

A lot of factors are involved here.

Where are you from?

I am in the NH.

6. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe grub worms?
  7. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Im in Erie and have some brown spots in lawns from lack of rain, but nothing like that! If that yard has no shade, could be from lack of rain. We have been in a drought watch for awile. What kind of grass is it?
  8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks like grubs or brown patch. Grab the dead grass and pull up on it. If it comes up fairly easy like a carpet then its grubs. If not I would say brown patch or the fert company may have spilled some fert and burned the lawn.
  9. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Try to dig a small hole and see if you find any grubbs, just to be sure.
  10. GrassInPA

To answer everyone's questions:

1 - I'm actually from about an hour north of the city in the small little town of New Kensington / Lower Burrell.

2 - The grass looks like a type of bent grass to me. I don't know the actual variety, but that is what it looks like.

3 - The grass pulls up really easy w/o a problem.

Also though, the back yard looks like the pictues but the front yard is also browning out. Even when we were getting rain, the front yard wasn't green the whole way through. Only the top of the grass was green. To me it seems like a strong possibility that the company isn't even fertilizing. Thanks for all the info so far.