1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dying grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ccas, Jul 15, 2006.

1. ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

so it has been nearly 3 months since i planted my new lawn. the grass was coming in great and looked pretty good outside of a few bare spots and a couple darker and lighter patches. i took the advice from some of you guys and fertilized like i was supposed to. I have been watering 3X/day for nearly 30-40 minutes a day. I used a starter fertlilizer this second time as well and now have a few big dead spots where the grass is browning. They started to appear within a week of applying the starter fertilizer for the second time. Any suggestions????
  2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like it might be drowning, I wouldnt recomend watering daily let alone 3x a day.
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I would say you have a fungus. Back off the water. Water twice a week for your normal 40 minutes.
  4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Way too much water 3 months after seeding. You should have started cutting back after 3 weeks.....

Put down a fungicide and 'wean' your lawn off the excessive watering. Go every other day for a couple of weeks, then twice a week.

With all that water, your grass had no reason to stretch its roots. To go immediately to twice weekly would cause problems IMO.
  5. ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

yeah i didnt even think about over watering it. didnt know that was possible. what type of fungicide? how long will it take for it to come back to where it was?
  6. TurfProSTL

I would apply a broad spectrum systemic like Bayleton. You can find it in granular form at most garden centers. This will keep future damage to a minimum for 3-4 weeks, but may or may not green up present damage.

Plan on overseeding as needed in early fall. Water daily for 3 weeks, go to twice a week for a few more, then once weekly as the grass matures.....
  7. ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

would it be odd that this would happen within a week of fertilizing? maybe its because of mowing as well. the amount of water i was using may have been okay until the grass was cut????
  8. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

certainly a misapplication of fert could be browning (burning) out your turf. I would not put down any additional chems, especially a fungicide, until you have diagnosed the true problem. You should cut the water back though, as that is certainly too much water for established seed. How about that mowing...get carried away and cut it real short, exposing a lot of crown? high spots? areas sprinks don't hit very well? could be a whole host of very minor things..start by eliminating the cultural practices(mowing, watering, etc.)
  9. TurfProSTL

ccas, daily watering is only OK when you're trying to get seed to germinate or sod to root. I apologize for knowing that overwatering was the root of your problem and prescribing quick fixes. Excessive moisture and quick release nitrogen are precisely the reasons I recommended a fungicide. Do a search on "Brown Patch" or even "Pythium Blight" and you'll figure out why.

Go ahead, do as Utah says and skip the fungicide and watch the brown spots get bigger, as you diagnose the problem by trial and error, waiting for a soil sample, etc. If you've been watering daily for 3 months, you have NO roots.

In the mean time, as your dead areas get larger, remember I recommended a fungicide, improved watering practices, then overseeding in the fall. By the time you actually figure out all the damage you've done with this insane watering regimen, you will have to do more than a simple overseeding to re-establish the lawn this fall.

I'm not saying Utah is wrong with his recommendations at all. I just don't think you can afford the time it will take to correct all your poor cultural practices. Fact is, I now think you're one of those homeowners that overdoes everything - watering, mowing, fertilizing, etc. MORE definitely doesn't mean better when you're dealing with turf.

Good luck.....

and for your lawn's sake, hire one of us starving professionals :waving:
  10. ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

My back yard looks great! That is where I didnt really put down much fertilizer and there is more shade. The front yard I think I put down too much. Then we have had pretty hot temps around here lately. Just cant help but think I burned the grass. If this is the case, are the brown spots going to go away any time soon?