1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dylox and seed at the same time??

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by sweetland, Mar 19, 2012.

1. sweetland

sweetland LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys ive been landscaping for years but only doing chemicals for the past few. I have done grub treatments and seeding at the same time but cant remember my results in the past. So my question to you is that today(monday) i put down dylox and watered it in a little and i was going to seed in the morning(tuesday). Is this okay or will the dylox hinder the seeds from germinating?

Thank you to who answers

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Irish

I am not from your area or do I know the Life Cycle of the Japaneses Beetle. BUT Isn't the wrong time of the year to treat for Grubs??? Are they not still in Over winter state???

3. sweetland

You are correct. You can still put down a lasting grub treatment. It was a combo between dylox and a full year slow release. It was also the customer demanding it was done now so my opinion never mattered, I think we all know abou this!

My question is for the chemical reaction of the two products.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. sweetland

they are coming to the surface and starting their feeding cycle especially with the warmer temps and we are just about in april

7664f08.jpg

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I would think you would be OK. Shouldn't hurt the seed.

But, I still wouldn't have put Dylox down as we've only used it as a last resort during fall damage. Putting it down now will only kill off the what's there, not what's coming back in the fall.

I would have just used the year round preventative, but even then I would have put it down mid-late summer when suggested.

You have a right not to apply chemicals outside of good IPM practices, so I personally would have refused to put down the Dylox.

If the customer is bull headed and think they are right, then you need to print out some info on grubs from your state's extension office for the client to read.

6. phillie

phillie LawnSite Senior Member

IMHO, dylox was a waste of money at this time of year. Its residual in the soil is very minimal and making it a product that is usually only used once grubs have been found. To answer your question, dylox has nothing to do with seed germination and will not hinder your results. Furthermore, dylox would be considered a pesticide. You will prolly be more responses if you put this in the pesticides forum. Hope this helps.

7. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seeded and put dylox down at the same time. Seed germinated fine.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Merit, anyone?

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

10. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Everything I have read states that putting down grub killer now is a complete waste of money. The grubs are adults and very, very hard to kill. They are doing minimal damage now vs. last fall when you should have killed them. Right now they are putting all their energy into turning into Jap Beetle.

Put down Merit in late June early July to kill the baby grubs this fall.

Grub killer/preventer does not affect seed germination.