Dynamark Briggs 16hp twin charging system

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ljvanbo, May 14, 2006.

1. ljvanbo

ljvanbo LawnSite Member

I posted before, when I had just picked up the tractor and had no real info on it. Since then I have checked it out and I could use a little help to get me started in the right direction. I have a Dyanmark 16hp 43 in. cut Tractor
    Model# B4316020 -- Code 1067
    With a 16hp Briggs Vtwin Vanguard Motor
    Model# 303777
    Type 0032-05
    Code 91021334
    After driving the tractor it will not restart without a jump. At first I thought it was not charging because after using it the battery would not crank the motor. I decided to check the voltage and it is putting out 19amps at a high idle, so now I assume it is overcharging the battery. It seems that it would be a voltage regulator but I am not too familiar with this setup and was hoping that someone on the forum is.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Lee

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

You said you checked the voltage but then said it was 19 amps? I don't think that it would generate more than 15 amps. So is it voltage or amperage? Set your meter to dc volts and check across the battery at low idle, then high idle and note. Also turn on the lights and check voltage. Anything over 12.6 volts is charging. You may get a lower voltage at low idle. Post back with the new info

3. ljvanbo

ljvanbo LawnSite Member

Sorry just a typo - 19 volts - I think it is overcharging and ruining the battery

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Replace the voltage regulator, You know the stator is putting out so thats the only thing left to cause a over charge.

5. khouse

one more thing though - even if it's charging 19 volts it would take several hours to ruin the battery. If your battery has a high resistance connection or is open then the regulator and charging system might just be tricked and shoot the maximum voltage to the battery and then when you go to crank it -nothing. Your battery may have already been bad. Your going to replace the battery anyway so do that first and then recheck your voltage and see if it's ok.

6. khouse

What did you find out?