Dynamic Water Depth

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zliminator, Jun 23, 2006.

1. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

The tutorial I'm reading says:

"It is important that the pump be running when this is measured. This is because when the pump runs, the water level in the well drops. The distance it drops is known as "draw-down". The further the pump must lift the water, the more energy it takes. So as the water level gets deeper, the pump will produce less water pressure (water energy) at the outlet. That energy (water pressure) is what runs the sprinklers, so we must have an accurate measurement of it. So we need to measure the Dynamic Water Depth, not just the depth of the water table."

The system I'm designing has a well that is 30' deep and the water level is around 5' from the top. (I live in central FL). I have a 1/2HP pump I could use temporarily to measure the DWD, but is this really necessary? If so, how much time do I have to remove the pump to stick a weighted string down the hole to measure the depth? This is the first system I've designed using a well. This is interesting.

Dan

2. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

should I used a flow switch in case the well ever runs dry? How likely is that here in FL?

Dan

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Only the actual pump you will use matters. You could pump the well with a utility pump, and see if there's any drawdown. If you work with shallow wells, you want to have a utility pump in your inventory.