Dynascape Vs Pro landscape

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Edgewater, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Let me start by saying that I know this has been discussed. I searched and read many posts. Those that have one or the other seem to be happy.

My question is this. Why is it that Pro Landscape will do plan drawings in both B/W and color, as well as 3D imaging for $1250, where dynascape is $2500 for the plan feature only and B/W at that.

I do like the look of the dynascape drawings better myself. I also like a b/w drawing better than color unless the color is light and very well done. In that respect, I would chose dynascape. however, the purpose of the software is ultimately to sell jobs. My gut tells me that prospects would be more impressed by the color and 3D from Pro Landscape. I know dynascape does color, but an extra $700 is ridiculous in my books.

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

2. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

i demoed dyna scape, but not pro. i wish i had more time with dyna scape to learn more of it. it would be an awesome tool. the thing i like about dynascape is that it integrates with Aquascape ponds which is great if you do ponds. i don't know if pro gives demos, but you should try the dyna scape out. they just make you pay shipping.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have both Dynascape and Design Imaging Groups software and they both have their place in my sales presentations. If it's a small job that the customer needs to see something, I will whip up a DIG design, but on a more complex design that will most likely need a few revisions, I use the Dynascape software. Personally I love the Dynascape software, but it does take a bit of time to master.

Chris

4. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Chris,

Are you using the color suite for dynascape? What are you doing about printing? Do you guys find that the 3D imaging is a big selling tool.

McKee,
    Why did you not decide to by Dynascape?

I am looking to get something now that I can play with in the early part of the winter so that I can stat turning out good work for the early designs next season.

I can't get over the idea that my preference towards dynascape is because I am picky and that Pro Landscape will be a better value as a selling tool.

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Edge - I don't use the color suite, I like to add my own color if needed. As far as printing, I email my files to a local blueprint place and they print it out for me. Like I said, I use the imaging on smaller stuff and it works great, but on the more intricate designs I like the dynascape.

Chris

6. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

didn't want to spend the money until i had time to learn how to use it. your post is reminding me that i need to start thinking about it again. i would like to demo pro first. i just ordered the demo today. so i will see.

7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I investigated and tried most of the design software available and went with Pro Landscape because of it's presentation features. My second choice would definitely be Dynascape, but it is more program than I have a need for in the foreseeable future. Pro Landscape is great for presentations with the 2D imaging and now with version 13 actual true 3D presentations. The planing mode with the ability to print drawings in B/W and multiple color renderings is also a nice feature to present to the client. The installers get the B/W CAD versions, unless they wish to pay for color renderings.

No matter which software you purchase, budget money for the training as well as substantial time to learn and master the software. Pro Landscape is relatively simple to use, but still takes time and effort to be proficient and the training class I attended made life much easier.

Kirk

8. tropicalvibe

tropicalvibe LawnSite Member

If I had it to do over again, i would have chosen Dynascape. I have been using ProLandscape for 3 years. It is full of bugs. Literally every time i use it I have a little problem somewhere along the line with the software. Usually it doesn't stop me from working but it does slow me down. Examples: I have to turn off User Control in order for PL to not crash - which reduces the security of my computer; When using my laptop, the PL crashes when I scroll using the scroll touchpad?? I called tech support and there is no fix; I am supposed to be able to open AutoCAD files but this has rarely been a simple process. To date I still have to call tech support (hope they are open since they are in a different time zone) and ask them to for help. They tell me the same thing every time and it still doesn't work. Eventually they do it and send it to me which defeats the whole purpose; Adding new plants has always been frustrating since you have to spend so much time entering all the info and then half of the new plants don't show up in the database. So you call tech support again and they figure out the glitch causing the problem. What a waste of time!; For all of its bells-and-whistles it doesn't have the capability to create drains - missing the boat here; The 3-D imaging module is half-baked - never felt it was good enough for a client presentation; The photo-realistic Image Editor module is great if the limited palette of plants in its database fits your needs - it never did for me. I called PL and asked them if they would edit pictures I supplied them with for the database. They agreed to do it. I spent weeks working on getting excellent quality pictures, sent them the files and they edited less than 10% of them and called it a day... I could go on and on here but I think you get the point. PL costs more than the basic off the shelf CAD programs because it has lots of modules but none of them met my expectations. The Planner module (CAD module) is supposed to be the strongest piece but it is still full of bugs. PL's graphics and renderings are also weak in comparison to Dynascape. A simple comparison using their websites illustrates this point quite well. I wish I would have paid the extra amount and purchased Dynascape. I knew it was better but I was hoping PL would be "good enough." The cost difference is significant but I think I would have made those costs up with more efficient use of my design time, rather than banging my head against a wall with all of PL's bugs. I also had to pay an artist to render a sections of the landscape so my clients would get the look and fell of the design. I doubt this will be necessary very often with Dynascape since it's color module is so strong. The cost of entry was higher with Dynascape but the hidden cost of using PL is much higher. I figured out that 15 hours of my design time was the cost difference between the two programs. I was on the phone for at least 15 hours with PL, not to mention dealing with all the bugs and work-arounds on my own. Dynascape's efficiency gains and graphical advantages will more than compensate for the front-end cost difference. My recommendation is to buy the better software the first time around. In my effort to save money I didn't realize I was being penny wise and a pound foolish.

9. Budlightshooter

Budlightshooter LawnSite Member

I have used both and by far my results are far superior with dynascape rather than Pl. It took me a good month to figure everything out and i know there is still things on there i can add to make the designs better. as for prints i do have a large format printer and site capture for my phone (this speeds things up 10 fold) .

I will tell you you wont regret Dyna. From what i have had bidding against me is that PL is too cartoony and doesnt show exacts and their B & W's wont compare.

My sales speak for themselves which have tripled from last year.

Any questions pm me

Attached Files:

10. tropicalvibe

tropicalvibe LawnSite Member

Thanks for posting the attached file. It is beautiful and a good representation of what you can do in Dynascape. I attached a PL plan from last year that is typical of it's look... huge difference. Dynascape plans give you the feel of the landscape while PL just shows where things go. Dynascape is by far the way to go.

Attached Files: