E-BAY

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenlawncare, Dec 22, 2000.

1. greenlawncare

greenlawncare LawnSite Member

Has anyone used ebay to buy equipment? Good / bad experiences?

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to some equipment from some of the northern states if anyone's going out of business and shipping it down here to Texas.

2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I've purchased other stuff from e-bay but not equipment. I've looked at some, but didn't get the bid.. For equipment I'd make sure there was shipping insurance on it and that you'd pay half the amount when shipped and the final upon receiving it. A lot of people probably wouldn't like this but I don't like to buy something sight unseen..

3. ENZOFORZA

ENZOFORZA LawnSite Member

i have bought + sold many things on ebay. I have found that if you pay attention to the "feedback" rating of the seller. I would not buy anything from anyone with less that 10 positives. If the seller has one or two negatives make shure that they have at least 100 positives to offset each negative. I have made about 150 transactions on ebay and have not been ripped off yet. got a few echo trimmers + blowers new in the box for about $150 less than my local dealer!!!----jake

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use eBay a lot. Here is a list of Green Industry items that I've bought, Shindaiwa T-270 Trimmer like new- $245, 5 lbs spool Veri trimmer line- $5, Veri trimmer heads(new) (2)-$12, Power lift for Gator(new)-$400, Stihl 039 chainsaw(new)- $360. Like Jake said, just look at the sellers feedback.

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Have had mostly good results with Ebay both buying and selling. More problems lately with dead beat bidders than ever. I like the feedback, however, it allows retaliation, which I do not like. I recently had a bidder fail to respond after 10 days, then after he did respond he wanted me to finance the item and take payments! He then left me negative feedback!? I have bought from people with a higher than 1/100 negative feedback, I also look at the history of the person leaving the feedback!

I like selling/buying with Pay-Pal, gives bidders the security of secure transaction.

Ray

6. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

I think it is risky buying equipment that you have never used before.