e is for effeciency.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BSDeality, Sep 8, 2005.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

After buyin my new truck I decided that I should build racks for my trailer to get my small equip. out of the truck so i'd be less likely to scratch/dent it. While in my mowing route with my old truck and setup I would put the backpacks and the weed wackers in the truck bed. I would have to open the tail gate at every stop to get the blowers out, and reach over the side to get the wackers. I constructed a dual weed wacker rack over my trailer axle, and came up with a system for the blowers, gas cans and milk crate full of odd parts like string, oil, wrenches, etc. The blowers can be started while still on the rack, and are at a height were you can almost just step into the straps. Fuel and string is located an arms length away.

Here is my bobbyG question: How much time does this setup save per stop, on average?
    How do you do things to become effecient?
    If you are not efficient you are working harder for less. Work smarter, not harder.

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

just what you did. Build the ultimate set up over time buy the right racks and equipment that makes you money and saves you time. Then train the right person so when you pull up they fly out and do there part and you do yours and vice versa so if someone gets behind the other fills in. With the new trailer I just built we are saving a little more time but most important of all we have a more organized set up with all of our gear safe and in place at all times. you can easly save 2 min. per stop I think.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

by having my equipment in a convient location on the trailer, not having to hump the tail gate, jump over the trailer tongue, I save an average of 2 minutes per stop. @ 16 stops a day, that's over a half hour of lost production time, aka earning potential.

I run a trailer with a side gate, If i'm by myself (usually). For small properties I can just pop my walk behind off the front without having to unload my zero in the back, this saves at least 5 minutes of monkey business.

What else do you do?

4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Having racks really do save time and keeps your stuff from getting banged up. I got as trimmer rack for about $90. and it hold 3 trimmers. I have two trimmers and my stick edger on it. All I basically use is my Shin T230 but it's nice to know the brand new redmax is there ready to go in case the shin breaks down. I'll be working on a dual back pack rack this winter also. I made a gas can rack for my trailer but found out the hard way why the racks are set so high in the front of the trailers. Last year while backing into MY driveway I cut the trailer too hard and put a small dent under my tail light....

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

BS-I am looking for a way to construct a blower rack. Do you have a pic?