E Newsletters to upsell services

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BSDeality, Aug 29, 2006.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone use e-newsletters to inform your clients of stuff you want to upsell them? I've tried sticking stuff in their invoices (but then again, I don't mail more than 6 invoices a month at this point) but it goes pretty much unnoticed. I have been thinking of creating an announcement list which comes with my webserver, adding all my clients (90%) email addresses to the list and sending a quick once a month upsell letter.

Does anyone do this, what is your success rate? Did you have people complain about being put on the list? Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to check out www.constantcontact.com It allows you to create whatever you want (newsletters, special offers, reminders, etc.) via their templates and quantify the results to see how many were opened, clicked on any links, etc. You can try it for free for a limited time and up to 100 email addys.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

That looks interesting, have you used constant contact? results?

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I do a monthly newsletter it is mostly information and it is hard copy sent with the bills. I get a lot of good feedback about the information. From time to time I will inform the clients of new technology items or time to order bulbs etc. something that could result in a sale. Only once in 2.5 years have I ever had someone call me and say I want one of those. I still sell many of the items but it takes a follow up call to get the order. I also send out flower selection forms spring and fall. All my clients get flowers but less than 10% return the form with any preferences.

The newsletter has had value in other ways that are not so easily measured. A writer from Phoenix home & Garden got a hold of one and called me and wanted on the mailing list and from time to time she calls to ask if I have any new/interesting homes they could feature. I had a string of 4 months straight with homes in the magazine. I don't know how you put a price on that. You would think, but truth is its mostly good for the ego. The only I got exactly 0 calls from all that.

Funny thing is I did have one client bring the magazine out and tell me she wanted her bougainvillea trimmed like the one in the picture. I asked if she read the article she said she did. Somehow she didn't recognize the fact the the majority of the article was an interview with me, and that that was one of my other clients.