"E" Ring, Snap clip, Retainer Ring????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gogetter, Sep 22, 2004.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Whatever this part is called, it came off my mower today. It goes on my Exmark Metro's rear wheel. It basically holds the wheel on the axle. There's a groove that goes around the axle and this clip snaps into place and holds it on.

My local dealer didn't have any in stock!.

I'm just trying to find out what it's proper name is. I've looked in some catalogs I have and it's been referred to by different names.

"E" Ring, Snap clip, Retainer ring. Are they all correct, or is there is difference?

Just curious for future reference.

Off to another dealer now. Hope they have one!

2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

E-Clips looks like the letter "E" with a curved back.

Snap Clips are a split ring that are very stiff. Driven on to a shaft they snap into a groove to lock something in place.

Snap Rings(some times called Retaining Rings by some manufactures) are circular in shape, with a gap between the ends. These are installed using snap ring pliers which have small tips that insert into small holes on the retaining ring. The pliers then open or close the ring, so they can be install on a shaft or hole.

Retaining Rings are circular in shape with flat sides and are split. Retaining ring plier pry the ring open to be able to install the ring on a shaft.

Hope I didn't confuse you to much.

3. My Metro has "E" rings holding the drive wheel assembly together.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Thanks guys for the replies.

I did do a little more research and have the gist of it now.
    What threw me off was a picture in a catalog that I have. The pic is apparently wrong.

After hitting 3 local lawn equipment dealers and none of them having the correct size E-clip, I finally tried Lowes and they had them.
    It's funny because the one dealer told me I would almost HAVE TO order it because I would spend days trying to find it elsewhere.

Yet Lowes came through for me! :)

Thanks again.

5. stevieraysod

stevieraysod LawnSite Member

Sometimes they are called Jesus clips because that's what you say when they go flying out of your hand!

6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

OK, and you live in the correct part of the country for this one. The very same clip is used on snowplows. And, as you found out, any Pic-A-Nut selection will have them. Look at the plow piston on the front of a truck. The same clip is used at the top and bottom of the hydraulic piston to hold it in place. Buy a couple extra and carry them with you for the future. See, you learned something new for today. Take care.