E-Z RAKE, for dethatching

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grass disaster, Mar 21, 2006.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i own a e-z rake what it is is a power rake, it's about 3' wide, it has springs on the bottom and is powered by a small motor that rotates the springs in a clockwise rotation. i use this for dethatching.

i'm looking for a web site on this product any one have or hear of anything like this??

the name on it is E-Z Rake Model 100. it is made in, ********, india. i can't read the first name on it.

2. grass disaster

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have two of them. They never get used anymore, but they are useful for several things. One good thing they also work for, is scratching the soil to prepare a seedbed. It does this perfectly, because it doesn't dig deep...just enough of the surface to get great soil-seed contact. If you have damaged areas, like from grub damage, you can just spread your seed, then run that. It mixes the seed right in, something like a slitseeder.
    One thing I've done with mine in the past though, is as the tines get wore down, I have actually removed the front wheels to get better penetration.

4. grass disaster

i plan on using this thing for all my dethatching this year. i am going to put out a flyer in the local paper and hope to get a big response.

am i crazy if i think i can do a good job dethatching with this unit?

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No. It doesn't dig as far or hard as a larger horsed, knife blade dethatcher, but it will STILL comb alot of stuff up. One good thing about these is that they don't dig too much up like knife type dethatchers do. If you ever want graduate to something that covers some SERIOUS ground for rakeovers, look into the JRCO tine rake. This this is so - fast. You can rake over an entire kalf acre subdivision lot in about 20 minutes to a half-hour. Then, you just windrow it with the mowers or bag it, blow it, or whatever other means you use to gather and pick it up.

6. grass disaster

i was just looking at those jrco tine dethatchers. do they get our more thatch than my machine will get out??????????????

i plan on bagging it with my kubota zd18 so i shouldn't have a problem picking it up?

i could possibly buy that jrco for my kubota. how much are they?

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The JRCO runs around 4 to 500 bucks I think, with the mounting bracket and all. It picks up about as much as the EZ Rakes if you make 2 passes. The thing is, is that you can make two passes in WAY less time than you can once using BOTH of those EZ Rakes. I think you'll find though that selling these poeople "rake-overs" that you just go over the lawn once, will bring in BIG revenue.

8. grass disaster

thanks for the info you've been a great help.

i might look into that attachment depending on how much work i have. i have seen there guys with them and they do FLY with them.

9. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

jrco is located in the twin cities. If you would like give them a call and drive there to look at one. They are helpful and if your mower isn't on the application list they will find the best one you can rig to your mower.

10. GNRL

GNRL LawnSite Member
    from Wi

I have a JRCO and a pull behind EZ-RAKE. You would have to go over the lawn ten times with the JRCO to get the same amount once with the EZ-RAKE. But having said that very few lawns need the EZ-RAKE.I use my JRCO alot in the spring.:)