e-z striper.....feedback?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tomoaktree, Jul 14, 2001.

1. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Does anyone who purchased an ez striper from yorksheet have any feedback on how much they like it? Do you notice any difference in scalping by removing the two wheels? Are you glad you have it? I'd like to get one for my lazer but thought I'd ask you guys what your opinions were on it.

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

tomoaktree,
    Have a friend who lives close to York PA. pick one up for me
    2 weeks ago. It works excellent, the best $250 you'll spend.
    I mounted mine & kept scalp wheels too, I just had to buy 1/2"
    longer bolts to remount them. I also experimented w/ different
    strip roller heights and found 1/2"- 3/4" off the ground seems to
    work best. ED :)

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've had my EZ-Striper and OCDC deflector since last fall. Love them!! The 3/4" seems to be about right for me as well. If you have it too low, it will rip the turf when turning. As long as it is lower than the rear lip of the deck, the striping effect will improve. The biggest thing that I like it for is that it acts like one big "anti-scalp" roller across the whole deck. If you mow across a real peaky berm, the roller just rides across it and prevents any scalping whatsoever. I like the trimming ablility with the rear gauge wheels removed, lets you get in close around a pole without the gauge wheel getting in the way. Gives you about 3 1/2" on each side for this tuck-it-around-the-deck style of trimming. I dont miss the gauge wheels at all when it comes to scalping and if you want, you can mount them with it like ED does with a longer bolt. They should be standard equipment on all mowers.

***** star rating in my book!

4. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Thanks for the feedback everyone. After reading your posts I realized that I might run into problems with the height of the striper. Some of the lawns I do are cut short (2 1/4") , and most are cut higher ( 3- 4"). How do you adjust the height of the striper?

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have mine set up to do well from 2 3/4"[winter clean-ups] (have to be careful on sharp turns with uneven terrail) and still get great stripes all the way up to 3 3/4" . Any lower than 2 3/4" and your asking for trouble. How do you do it now? Do you have to raise the gauge wheels to cut those 2 1/4" lawns? Thats awfully low and I would raise that up to 3". They will be so much happier with the stripes that they will not notice that you have raised their cut. These rollers are adjustable, however there aren't as many adjustments available as the factory gauge wheels. I would call or e-mail Dave at YSM and ask him, maybe they have re-engineered another bracket to allow for lower cuts. As for me, 95% of my lawns are cut at 3 1/2" the rest at 3". My gauge wheels are one notch up from the bottom [for those 3" lawns].

Hope this helps.

6. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i have 1/2 inch rubber on the back of my deck that hangs down 1 1/2 " below the deck .
    it has improved the stripe so much that i think i have the best stripes around .
    i have also noticed it dont scalp like it would with out it heck it dont scalp at all.
    i have one lawn that has roots all over the yard that sticks up and i used to hit them and bang my dbl blades to gether not no more .
    what im getting at is my stripe kit cost $2.00 and does the same thing maybe better.