Eager 1 Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MowerMad, May 22, 2006.

1. MowerMad

MowerMad LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,
    I have been a lurker for a long time and this is my first post. I am working on a Craftsman mower (model # 917. 377425) with an Eager 1 Engine (#143.006502). The mower will simply not start- I think it constantly floods because when I took the carb. tube off of the block, gas trickled out and the spark plug was wet with gas. I have cleaned the carb. twice and still the same problem. I can't find if there are any adjustments on the carb. but it is clean. I have put a volt meter on the brand new spark plug and it does register current. The mower does try to fire, but it just blows out a puff of blue/ whitish smoke and dies. It also will jerk the pull cord out of my had from time to time. I have cleaned the flywheel and ignition module points of rust but have not checked the air gap, as I do not have that information. Any help you guy could give my would be greatly appriciated.
    Thank you.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need to replace the float needle and seat assembly and check the float by shaking briskly in to fingers, If it has a hole and fuel is inside you will feel it. That should correct the flooding and check the oil for fuel contamination. The rope snatching out of your hand will be a sheared flywheel key. Adjust the coil air gap with any business card or 10 to 12 thousands.
  3. Parts Changer

Parts Changer LawnSite Member

The air gap on the magneto is .010. Also check and see if your flywheel key is sheared.
  4. Metalmacguyver

Metalmacguyver LawnSite Member

definately check the fly wheel key. tecumsehs have a repution for busting fly wheel keys.