1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Eagle Blend + Blue...please help

Discussion in 'LESCO' started by GripB, Sep 2, 2006.

1. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

The lawn is a 5 year old Eagle Blend + Blue (75% perennial rye and 25% kentucky blue) lawn which is healthy and thick.

I want to introduce Team Mates Plus (70% turf type tall fescue, 20% perennial rye and 10% kentucky blue) for more drought/heat resistance.

I want to know if it'll blend in well with the exisitng turf.

I've posted this question on LawnSite and also talked to a few Lesco branches near me (I have 4 branches within 45-50 minutes).

1/2 of the people are saying don't do it, it will not blend, overseed with what is there (existing) and the other 1/2 are saying it'll work just fine. :confused:

What do you Bob, and others think.

Thanks in advance
  2. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

I spoke to our turfseed expert, and here's what she said:

The 70% tall fescue in the Team Mates Plus has a different appearance and growth habit than the perennial ryegrass and Kentucky bluegrass. To avoid a "clumpy" appearance from the tall fescue, you would need to incorporate the Team Mates Plus at a fairly high seeding rate - I would say at least 6-7 lbs/1,000 square feet.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have additional questions,
  3. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply Bob. Wow that's a high seeding rate for an overseeding situation, but if that's what your expert recommends, that's what I'll do to avoid clumping.

As far as the different appearance from the Eagle Blend + Blue, how is it different? Color, blade thickness or what? I mean, will it eventually blend in well?

Thanks again!!
  4. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Teamates and all fescues are clump type grasses. When you have a heavy stand of fescue they will stand shoulder to shoulder and have a nice uniform appearance however it will tend to sit down ontop of bluegrasses or ryes. Any lawn that is predominatly fescue but thins out will develop a clumpy appearance. Also any lawn that is predominatly bluegrass & or Rye with a light overseed of fescue will look clumpy. An 80-90% fescue lawn overseeded with blue looks good. An 80-90% Blue/Rye overseeded with fescue will be unsatifactory. So you need to establish fescue as your predominate grass. You do this by either Round up the whole lawn and start from scratch with a blend such as Teamates, or, overseed the teamates heavily enough to accomplish this. Generally you may have to do this for a couple of years until the fescue has a chance to crowd out the blues and ryes.
  5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I would say spray the whole thing down with round up and then overseed with the Team Mates.