Eagle Eye Employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EastProLawn, May 12, 2004.

1. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you guys have an employee who insists are following you around when a customer is dicussing business, or asks a little too many questions. I have one guy who up until now has been pretty good, but as of late has been extremely nosey and wants to know a little too much info. I had a talk with him about it and so far things have been cool. Any of you w/employees run into this problem ?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I ran into that problem last year when my one manager wanted to know what was going on with the interview process of hiring people. He would purposely hang around the shop or even one time sat in on the interview. I finally told him, get the heck out of here. The interview process is none of your business.

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of employees don't realize that they are being nuisances, they just want to show you that they want to learn. Just be upfront and honest with them. Let them know that you can handle it on your own and if you need assistance you'll ask.

4. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

lbilawncare put it good

5. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I personaly do not care if one of my men tags along when I discuss business with a customer. I saves me a lot of time explaing what the customer wants done and how. For having them their I can send them to do the job and not have to tag along with them to point everything out to them.

I do not keep it a secert as to what each job pays.

If I ever had to take a week off of work for personal business? Which I normally do for the WV State Fair in Aug. My men knows who gets what and when and how much to collect for the job.

Bilawncare, put it best if you do not want your men tagging close to you.

6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I started paying close attention to everything my old boss did. paperwork, schedule sheets, prices, what to say to a customer in certain situations...........

Point is, sometimes teach too much, and the following year they are your competitor!
    Gotta draw the line somewhere.

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like he wants to branch off soon. My crew leader knows just about everything about my business, hopefully someday it will be his.

8. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Sounds like he is planning his exit to me.

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes workers want to know just to become more knowledgable but most of the time it is so they can start their own company. Be upfornt with the employee and ask them their intentions.

Gravely_Man

10. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

My men are more than happy to let me deal with the clients. Their english is pretty good, but they get very shy when people try to speak with them. They just want to keep going and get their work done. It's my job to deal with the clients.