eagle or cresline poly for install

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by wi-dogfish, Apr 26, 2005.

1. wi-dogfish

wi-dogfish LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

I was wondering which poly would work better with blazing saddle tee's.
    Here's the specs:

Eagle: HE-100 PE 3408 SDR 15 NSF-PW

Cresline: NT-100 PE 2306 SDR 11.5 NSF-PW

Anyone have any experience working with either of these, what type of warranties do they have? What do all the numbers mean? I could guess their both good for 100 psi and the end pw is pottable water. What is SDR? Eagle is about 2 cent more a foot.
    thanks for any info,
    Jason

2. Instant Rain

Instant Rain LawnSite Member

The first number 100 is the pressure rating, obviously. PE stands for polyethylene.

The next series of four numbers is a code. The first number in the four digit code is the type. The second number represents the grade. These first two numbers are not indicative of quality. The last two are the hydrostatic design stress in units of 100psi.

In this case the cresline pipe code breaks downs as follows.

Type 2
    Grade 3
    Hydrostatic design stress of 630 psi.

SDR is an acronym for Standard dimension ratio, that is the ratio of pipe size to wall thickness. If a 1/2" pipe has a pressure rating of 200. with an SDR of 21, then a 6" pipe of the same code with an SDR of 21 will have a pressure rating of 200psi.
    This is different from schedule pipe. The pressure rating in schedule pipe tends to drop as the pipe size increases. Half inch schedule 40 with a code of 1220 has a pressure rating of 600 psi, but 6" schedule 40 with the same code is only good for 180 psi.
    With PVC the inside diameter changes as the SDR changes. Polyethylene pipe changes the outside diameter.

The NSF at the end is the seal of the laboratory evaluating the pipe, in this case its the National Sanitation Foundation.

I have never used Eagle poly but judging from the code and the dimension ratio. it looks like it might be thinner and more brittle. So i would go with the Cresline.

I'm not sure what the HE, or NT mean.

3. wi-dogfish

thanks for the info and then some, the cresline is a few cents cheaper.

Jason

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

As the previous said, they are pretty close in spec. I can think of guys that hate crestline and go the other way and find guys that won't buy eagle. We see a lot of silverline around here. Again, depends on your preference. The silverline dealer here claims his poly and pvc are smoother or slicker and pull better. The flip side of this is they are harder for a sock to grip if it has some wear to it :( If its cheaper, try a job with it if you haven't used it in the past. If what you have works and its the cheaper....I wouldn't change.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The PE 3408 pipe is high-density poly, and the PE 2306 is medium-density poly. The medium-density poly will have a slightly larger outside diameter. So, the saddle tees will be tighter on it.

6. wi-dogfish

When I went back and looked at the specs the cresline seemed like it had a thicker wall. Cresline something like .091 for cresline and .07 something for eagle. I thought I would go with the cresline because it had a thicker wall. I guess it would be good if the saddles fit tighter? I am talking about 1" poly. What's the difference in density. Would a higher density be better? Also the weight of a 100 foot roll was significant. cresline weighed quite a bit more.
    thanks again , jason

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Medium density is old technology. High density is newer. Most, if not all, non-NSF utility-grade poly pipe is high-density, because it uses less material, and costs less to produce.