1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ear and eye protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by verant, Oct 3, 2007.

1. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering what you all wear out there when it comes to ear and eye protection. I wear Stihl brand muffs, but when i put sunglasses on, the sides of the muff presses the sides of the sunglasses against my head, just in front of my ears, its very bothersome and uncomfortable. What do you guys wear? maybe just ear plugs would work? Suggestions...
  2. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Yup Glasses and Ear Plugs. And a Hat to cover up my blad head not to Burn.
  3. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I wear some ear plugs and have slipped into the habbit of not wearing sun glasses but need to start wearing some so I don't go blind thanks to a small rock.
  4. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

You just have to find the right style of safety sunglasses - trial and error. Right now I'm using a pair from Home Depot. I use the ear muffs AND ear plugs... because I've had ringing in my ears and I don't want it to get worse. The ringing was making me very unhappy. It's much better now. I don't take chances with my hearing anymore. No more watching fireworks up close unless I have ear plugs. I hold my ears when a harley goes by or a firetruck. I wear ear plugs at any discos. Definitely can't let the ringing get worse. I don't think you can understand it unless you've experienced non-stop ringing for a few months.

Anyway, you are wise to protect your hearing and eyes. It's the smart thing to do.
  5. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I always wear Oakley sunglasses, and worktunes when running any equipment. Sometimes the I forget to take the worktunes off when I get in the truck. Oh yea, being so darn dusty now, I have been wearing those cheap paper masks. Seems like if I don't my sinuses seem to give me trouble.
  6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear earplugs with a plastic band, it helps to hold them in my ears, and no string to catch on my hoodie or branches, etc. If you look at the link below, Mine are the orange ones. $6.00 at my local builders supply store. And they come with extra foams, too.

7. avnorm

avnorm LawnSite Member

Ear plugs AND muffs for ears. You young guys NEED to learn how important this is; we all had youthful denial growing up. Sorry if I sound like your Dad, listen while you can....:hammerhead:

Sunglasses and eye shield....
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I liked the Stihl muffs because it seemed cheaper and quicker at the time, plus I never cared much for things going inside my ear, but over time I got tired of them.

The trick with the goggles is you need to put your muffs on first, then fit the goggles loosely over that, it takes a bit of adjusting to get it right but it's not impossible.

But a branch would catch those muffs and rip them off, man that would frustrate me, and in summer they're just so dang HOT!

I found NAPA sells a box of 200 pairs of those foamy ear plugs for like $40, you can get them even cheaper but that's where I bought mine. You can wear them several days and even throw them in the wash machine once or twice (then let them air dry, not in the dryer), I am sure a box of 200 lasts 8-10 years. Oh yeah, and they deaden more sound.

btw I've lost hearing in the 4000 hz range, and I wear these things religiously, the muffs sure are nice once it gets colder.
  9. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Ear plugs, always. Safety glasses, always. Cap, because I can see better with it on (shades the eyes). Also bought some 3M brand filter maskes (the soft, folded ones) with the exhaust valve, due to cutting some extremely dusty, dry properties.

My ears also ring constantly. They have since I was a kid. Partially, I'm sure, due to shooting guns a lot with no protection, but also due to having multiple ear infections when I was young. Started wearing ear protection constantly after probably age 18.
  10. SpartanBill

SpartanBill LawnSite Member

For years, doing installs it was Oakleys and ear muffs for gereral use, plugs when running the brick saw. Now I use muffs almost exclusively, they are alot easier putting on and off when a H/O or neighbor asks me something. Since my dog got ahold of my Oakleys this winter I've been using the $8 ones from Home Depot. The arms are thin enough you can even slide them on and off w/o removing your ear muffs. I plan on adding an Ipod and some earbuds next year.

After 15 years of rock concerts(over 200 shows) and 13 yrs. running equipment no persistent ringing, but add a couple beers and I'm the loudest person in the bar.

"Bill, you're yelling again"

"You're YELLING"

"Oh, sorry"